XJ600N newbie

Boozeman
This post is 5587 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all! Just joined the forum. I'm 49 from Derbyshire. Acquired a 1997 XJ600N yesterday for next to nothing. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some work before it'll pass MOT. Main thing is the front tire is shot - all the rest is mainly cleaning and restoration. Bike has done about 31,000 miles. There seems to be an oily leak from somewhere above or around the inlet manifolds. One of the collars that attach one of the inner carbs to the mainfold appears to be loose, could possibly be that. Taking a quick look around the forum top end oil leaks appear to be quite common. Is it likely to be just a blocked breather tube somewhere?

I'm gonna need to take the forks off as well to service them - they appear to be very soft - and they also need new dust caps (already has new seals). What is the best way to support the bike when taking the forks off? I use axle stands under the frame members on my Suzuki GS500E, but it doesn't look as easy on the XJ - the XJ is a lot heavier.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boozeman

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online