DT125 Engine issues

NEwin
This post is 5482 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey,

I just bought my first bike ('87 DT125 LC Mk3) and it was running fine for the first few weeks, but then I was away on holiday and when I came back it was having problems. Specifically, the engine starts fine in neutral but as soon as you move into gear, it cuts out. It definately seems to just cut out rather than stall because the bike doesn't lurch forward or anything so it doesn't obivously seem like a clutch problem (at least to me :) ).

Any thoughts on what I should check? I know there are various safety cut-off switches (eg side stand) so maybe one of these is malfunctioning? But I wasn't sure if these switches cutoff the engine when it's in gear or just stop it from starting altogether?

I should say that I'm still pretty new to bikes and am still finding my way around so feel free to be as basic as you like. :)

cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi...you left the side stand down :lol:

or if you didnt, check the plunger on the switch isnt stuck in, give it a spray with WD40 and get it free, if this doesnt work unplug the wires and short them out to each other and fit a new switch later if this cures it.

...Paul

so the plunger isn't was fine as we'd already looked at it, but turns out that one of the connections was loose - probably should've looked at that sooner :wacko:. Anyway, It's all sorted now. Cheers!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online