XJ600N (1995) rear caliper

Maczone
This post is 5541 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1995 xj600n which is a import I was told.

After recently trying to change my rear brake pipe the bleed valves sheared off when I was trying to open them.

I found another rear caliper on ebay but its from a 1991 xj600, (on its way) does anybody know if this will fit?

when I managed to drill out the bleed valves I was wanting to strip down the caliper and service it, the piston(s) look a bit shot. :unsure:

I read reviews that the xj600 rear brakes are a problem waiting to happen ie. they often pack in or seize up.

when I look in the manual it shows only 1 piston for the rear caliper, but when I look at the caliper there looks like there are 2, 1 on each side. is this a different caliper model as its an import? :huh:

The pistons are still in the caliper as I'm having problems getting them out, but I've been told to use a grease gun through the bleed valves to force out the pistons, which I'll try and let the group know if it works. ;)

rearbrakediagram.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After recently trying to change my rear brake pipe the bleed valves sheared off when I was trying to open them.

I found another rear caliper on ebay but its from a 1991 xj600, (on its way) does anybody know if this will fit?

when I managed to drill out the bleed valves I was wanting to strip down the caliper and service it, the piston(s) look a bit shot. :unsure:

I read reviews that the xj600 rear brakes are a problem waiting to happen ie. they often pack in or seize up.

when I look in the manual it shows only 1 piston for the rear caliper, but when I look at the caliper there looks like there are 2, 1 on each side. is this a different caliper model as its an import? :huh:

The pistons are still in the caliper as I'm having problems getting them out, but I've been told to use a grease gun through the bleed valves to force out the pistons, which I'll try and let the group know if it works. ;)

Hi

I would guess there is no chance of a pre divi caliper working ...91 would be close to pre divi .... I guess you were a bit clumsey braking the nipples off but drilling them out etc sounds good but tbh I would have ebayed etc a working caliper .. would have been cheaper !

Regards Jim

yep your caliper will have 2 pistons, this helps them work better :mellow: , look this up and you should be able to compare part numbers

http://vitty.ru/files/xj600s.pdf :)

Hi

I would guess there is no chance of a pre divi caliper working ...91 would be close to pre divi .... I guess you were a bit clumsey braking the nipples off but drilling them out etc sounds good but tbh I would have ebayed etc a working caliper .. would have been cheaper !

Regards Jim

Hi Jim

The 91 xj caliper looks very similar in the ebay pictures, so I will just have to wait and see. there wasn't that much changed between the 91 and the 95 models, well not the rear brakes I think. I don't think my XJ600N can be called a Divi :huh:

(There doesn't seem to be many xj600 rear calipers on ebay at the moment, and the one I got was 1 of 2 available)

The nipples were seized solid, probably hadn't been removed for years before I got it 3 years ago.

I managed to drill out the nipples no problem, and I just got the pistons out using a grease gun through the bleed nipples (temporary nipples)

and if the ebay caliper isn't quite right I can refurbish my old one after replacing the piston seals and bleed nipples.

cheers

XJ600N Catalogue PDF

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim

The 91 xj caliper looks very similar in the ebay pictures, so I will just have to wait and see. there wasn't that much changed between the 91 and the 95 models, well not the rear brakes I think. I don't think my XJ600N can be called a Divi :huh:

(There doesn't seem to be many xj600 rear calipers on ebay at the moment, and the one I got was 1 of 2 available)

The nipples were seized solid, probably hadn't been removed for years before I got it 3 years ago.

I managed to drill out the nipples no problem, and I just got the pistons out using a grease gun through the bleed nipples (temporary nipples)

and if the ebay caliper isn't quite right I can refurbish my old one after replacing the piston seals and bleed nipples.

cheers

XJ600N Catalogue PDF

I eventually got the XJ600 (91) caliper from the ebay seller, although it would have fitted, it wasn't quite the same, but I used the pistons from it on my old one and got new bleed nipples and brake pipe and now it works better than before.

I should have just got a new set of pistons n seals which would have come to the same price. lesson learned!

Mybikeclose-up.jpg

I eventually got the XJ600 (91) caliper from the ebay seller, although it would have fitted, it wasn't quite the same, but I used the pistons from it on my old one and got new bleed nipples and brake pipe and now it works better than before.

I should have just got a new set of pistons n seals which would have come to the same price. lesson learned!

Mybikeclose-up.jpg

She's lookin 'fair bonnie' Kenny, dont go mad wi they stickers lol, glad you got the caliper thang sorted out, an the pipes, the pipes,,,, :lol:

Mybikeclose-up.jpg

Hi,

I can see what happend .. there were still some pre Divi XJ600's kicking around in the early 90's your supplier went off registration rather than model year !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online