xv 125 virago exhaust

Paulwhite
This post is 5552 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there are you like me and cant find a cheep exhaust system or even a FULL exhaust system for your xv 125?

well iv found the answer!....make one!

i bought the front down pipe that links to the mufflers for £120 @

xv 125 exhaust

30mm inside dia. flexy pipe 40cm long with fixing brackets £30 (p+p included!) (just email him and he will sort you out)

ebay flexy pipe

1.5mm thick 10m long graphite exhaust wrap (ebay)

exhaust wrap ebay

now i found that the rear down pipe on my bike was corroded but the corrosion started about 5 inch from where it links onto the engine.

i chopped the pipe about 5 inch down then wrapped 1 layer of exhaust wrap round the top and secured it with s/s ties

i then pushed the flexypipe onto the cut header ( its a bit tight but if you twist and push it will go on )

make sure you leave a gap about 2cm from the top

then i wrapped the whole pipe with 1 layer of exhaust wrap ( if you start at the top down, then you can slide on the bracket that holds it to the engine)

after sliding the bracket to the top of the pipe i secured the exhaust wrap with s/s ties

and there is the new header pipe!

now because the new pipe is 30mm inside diameter instead of the 26mm it was, iv had to slightly bend the connector in wards ( the bit that pokes out so you can connect the rear header to the rest of the exhaust )

then push the new header on and wrap it with exhaust wrap.

then fix the u bend bracket that you get with the flexy pipe onto where it connects and tighten.

job done!

new exhaust at half the price!

just to let you know the exhaust wrap will smoke for about 5 min when you first use it but after that its spot on!

hope this helps ppl

cheers . Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there Paul sounds like a good job well done however I have a couple of questions

You said you bought the front downpipe for £120 when the link states the opposite?

Chrome Silencer Exhaust Yamaha XV250 Virago 1995-01 (Does not include attaching downpipes)

Why have Yamaha split the back port and directed it to both silencers? Mad or what !!?** My son complained his pipes are too quiet so looked at the alternatives and well not many - a screaming eagle would be nice !! Has anyone got round the back port issue and just got a single downpipe to one silencer. I looked on Germany sites as they have tons more of these bikes on the road than in the UK and they dont appear to have anything better either. There is a Highway Hawk system, Laser, Silverlight and I guess standard/oem and thats about it !! anyone had one custom made and if so what how did it perform?

The Chinese (Lifan) have gone mad with the 250ccVtwin Virago engine and its everywhere (even on other Chinese manufacturers using the Lifan engine) on their cruisers and sold seperate for custom builds so one would think someone would have come up with a better solution?

FrankG

hi there are you like me and cant find a cheep exhaust system or even a FULL exhaust system for your xv 125?

well iv found the answer!....make one!

i bought the front down pipe that links to the mufflers for £120 @

xv 125 exhaust

30mm inside dia. flexy pipe 40cm long with fixing brackets £30 (p+p included!) (just email him and he will sort you out)

ebay flexy pipe

1.5mm thick 10m long graphite exhaust wrap (ebay)

exhaust wrap ebay

now i found that the rear down pipe on my bike was corroded but the corrosion started about 5 inch from where it links onto the engine.

i chopped the pipe about 5 inch down then wrapped 1 layer of exhaust wrap round the top and secured it with s/s ties

i then pushed the flexypipe onto the cut header ( its a bit tight but if you twist and push it will go on )

make sure you leave a gap about 2cm from the top

then i wrapped the whole pipe with 1 layer of exhaust wrap ( if you start at the top down, then you can slide on the bracket that holds it to the engine)

after sliding the bracket to the top of the pipe i secured the exhaust wrap with s/s ties

and there is the new header pipe!

now because the new pipe is 30mm inside diameter instead of the 26mm it was, iv had to slightly bend the connector in wards ( the bit that pokes out so you can connect the rear header to the rest of the exhaust )

then push the new header on and wrap it with exhaust wrap.

then fix the u bend bracket that you get with the flexy pipe onto where it connects and tighten.

job done!

new exhaust at half the price!

just to let you know the exhaust wrap will smoke for about 5 min when you first use it but after that its spot on!

hope this helps ppl

cheers . Paul.

Hi there Paul sounds like a good job well done however I have a couple of questions

You said you bought the front down pipe for £120 when the link states the opposite?

Chrome Silencer Exhaust Yamaha XV250 Virago 1995-01 (Does not include attaching downpipes)

Why have Yamaha split the back port and directed it to both silencers? Mad or what !!?** My son complained his pipes are too quiet so looked at the alternatives and well not many - a screaming eagle would be nice !! Has anyone got round the back port issue and just got a single downpipe to one silencer. I looked on Germany sites as they have tons more of these bikes on the road than in the UK and they dont appear to have anything better either. There is a Highway Hawk system, Laser, Silverlight and I guess standard/oem and thats about it !! anyone had one custom made and if so what how did it perform?

The Chinese (Lifan) have gone mad with the 250ccVtwin Virago engine and its everywhere (even on other Chinese manufacturers using the Lifan engine) on their cruisers and sold seperate for custom builds so one would think someone would have come up with a better solution?

FrankG

hi the part that was shown on the link is all 1 piece. (front down pipe and mufflers) it said it don't come with downpipes but thats for the rear cylinder which has a separate down pipe. I know this cause i bought one and it arrived next day! i couldn't find anywhere that dus a different exhaust other than the slash cuts. so I'm in the process of converting my old exhaust to a straight through with just a single muffler instead of the dual connected ones. at the mo its looking a bit sorry for itself but its working and the bike has gained from it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online