popping chain

mrbump
This post is 5577 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys sorry if this is a simple thing but my chain seems to be popping of the teeth at the bottom of the rear sprocket when i move the bike backwards doesnt do this when moving forwards or riding. I have adjusted the chain which seems fine looks like the chain links are sitting too close to the back of the tooth in front as the chain lets go as i move back wards any ideas. cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your chain is stretching.

as it goes around the sprocket, it interlaces with the teeth. if the chain is new, the distance between the links matches the gaps between the teeth on the sprocket. as the chain stretches, the distance between the links lengthens, while the distance between the teeth on the sprocket remains the same.

so, as the chain starts its journey around the sprocket everything is lined up, but as it travels around the sprocket the nano distance that the chain has stretched on each link adds up and it will be tight to the sprocket tooth by the time it comes around the other side.

take a look at your chain/sprocket. look at each end (where the chain starts in and comes out of the rear sprocket) now pull on the chain away from the sprocket. my bet is that it will be loose at one end and tight at the other.

my bike did the same. why it does it in reverse is beyond me.

I oiled my chain really good and the popping stopped. but thats a poor substitute for a chain replacement.

your chain is stretching.

as it goes around the sprocket, it interlaces with the teeth. if the chain is new, the distance between the links matches the gaps between the teeth on the sprocket. as the chain stretches, the distance between the links lengthens, while the distance between the teeth on the sprocket remains the same.

so, as the chain starts its journey around the sprocket everything is lined up, but as it travels around the sprocket the nano distance that the chain has stretched on each link adds up and it will be tight to the sprocket tooth by the time it comes around the other side.

take a look at your chain/sprocket. look at each end (where the chain starts in and comes out of the rear sprocket) now pull on the chain away from the sprocket. my bet is that it will be loose at one end and tight at the other.

my bike did the same. why it does it in reverse is beyond me.

I oiled my chain really good and the popping stopped. but thats a poor substitute for a chain replacement.

Thanks for your reply the chain can be pulled a bit from the rear sprocket but is tighter at the bottom where it is popping so i guess this sounds like your suggestion thanks mate.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online