carb balancing/synchronizing on an '82 xj 550

chuckles_no
This post is 5577 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If unbalanced or dirty (or both) carbs (there are 4 on this bike) could make the bike run really bad, flood easily, not start at all, idle at very high rpms, or rpms don't drop when the throttle is in idle position.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If they are dirty that can cause flooding. Out of synch can cause the idle to "hang" and not come down. You will need a set of synchronizer sticks or dial gauges to do it properly.

If they are dirty that can cause flooding. Out of synch can cause the idle to "hang" and not come down. You will need a set of synchronizer sticks or dial gauges to do it properly.

I actually took it to a bike shop. Figured I'd better have a professional look at it since I don't know anything about 4 stroke motors or anything about motors with more than one carb. These are mainly harley guys but they do foreign bikes too. Just hope they know how to balance carbs and have the tools. Do you have any idea how much shops generally charge for this kind of work?

I actually took it to a bike shop. Figured I'd better have a professional look at it since I don't know anything about 4 stroke motors or anything about motors with more than one carb. These are mainly harley guys but they do foreign bikes too. Just hope they know how to balance carbs and have the tools. Do you have any idea how much shops generally charge for this kind of work?

don't know what a Harley shop charges but i do know Yamaha of southern IL charges $69 and hour i would guess it about the same at most shops

don't know what a Harley shop charges but i do know Yamaha of southern IL charges $69 and hour i would guess it about the same at most shops

ok thats not too bad coming from an actual Yamaha shop. Most of the time, as far as my experience goes, dealers and certified service centers charge more than independant shops. Either way I just want the darn thing running and starting right... ready to have some fun with. Thanks for the peace of mind.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online