Question about mileage and other mechanical stuff

chuckles_no
This post is 5575 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The bike had 2 owners before me. The original owner barely rode it then tipped it and hurt himself so he stored it for 7 years before selling it to the guys I bought it from. Has 8970 actual miles on it but the bike is a little beat up looking. And its running really bad. Actually, it broke down on me like 4 blocks down the road after I bought it. When I first looked at it, it ran fine but when I came to pick it up, it had the following issues...

Idled insanely high. Even with choke off.

Flooded easily.

When throttled, the rpms wouldn't drop back to idle. The throttle went back into idle position and the cable was working properly but the rpms wouldn't drop unless i gave it a quick full throttle rev.

Died on me and couldn't get it started again...

I pushed it like 2 miles to a bike shop. These guys are harley guys but know foreign bikes too. 2 days before I picked it up, the guy i bought it from had a carb clean done on it and that is when the problem started, i am assuming. like i said, when I first checked it out everything was going great.

Could these problems be from an improper cleaning or the carbs not being balanced? Also, worst case scenario, from your experience, what am i looking at spending to get this bike running and riding reliably so I can trust it not to die on a road trip.

It is my first road bike. Before this my experience is with dirt bikes and 4 wheelers... the biggest being a 250cc

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

that would be my guess take it in and have them cleaned and balanced

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online