'82 XJ 550 with 8970 actual miles

chuckles_no
This post is 5434 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I saw a bike that had a for sale sign for $900 on the side of the road. I have ridden dirt bikes since I was like 7 years old but the biggest thing I ever rode was a 250 yamaha 4 wheeler. I figured, "dirt bike, street bike, all the same." Yeah right. The weight and power of a street bike through me (almost literally) for a loop. I am a grown man but skinny at 5'10" 140 pounds.

Anyway, It ran well when I checked it out. Started right up, ran well, shifted well, idle nice, etc...

I payed for it in increments before I picked it up a couple of days ago. This time, however, it took forever to get it started, it didn't want to stay running, it ran bad, and then, finally after i decided to try riding it home, it died on me like 4 blocks down the road.

The people I bought it from are good people. Friends of good friends and well known in our community. And both on the rescue squad in our area. It had one owner before them... a guy who bought it brand new and almost never rode it. He had actually tipped it about 10 years ago and never rode it again. It sat in a shed at his cabin, drained of oil and gas and set for storage. He sold it to the guys I bought it from 3 years ago.

The guy who they had do the maintenance on the bike and regular check ups was the last guy who touched it. They had him do a carb clean on it 2 days before I picked it up and that is when the problems started.

I brought it to some real bikers who own the only other motorcycle shop in town and they said, from the symptoms I described, it sounds like the carbs are dirty and not balanced or synchronized.

Maybe some of you have had the same experience...

Idled insanely high, 3-4 thousand rpms without the choke

flooded easily

when throttled wide open and released the rpms dropped to normal, but as soon as i gave it throttle, even with the throttle back in idle position, the rpms didn't drop. This isn't a cable problem either as I did check and the cables all around are in excellent condition.

Any insight anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online