oil light on my FJ

This post is 5578 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys I have just brought a fantastic FJ 1200 and for some reason the oil light keeps coming on for no good reason but must be one of course, its got plenty of oil in it,

I have noticed that all the oil vanishes from the inspection window and only sometimes when i turn the engine off it might come all flooding back to the inspection window.....

Could it be a oil pump problem?? I dont think its electrical as both ignition and oil lights come on and then go off once started up.

I have gave the bike back to the garage when i got her from and waiting for him to get back to me and mean while i thought id check you lot out about it......

any answers will be well recieved.

Im using my ER5 to run around town and to and from work, and boy do i .love my ER5 :D found its more versitile and I can throw it about not like the heavy FJ,s all power and grunt but not so manuveralbe.........

Stephen

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oil light on the FJ is just a low warning indicator, they do tend to play up. Mine comes on with hard exceleration and when I am going up hill.

Cleaning the contacts helps but it a pain in the arse as the oil levell sensors right under the sump. You oil window should always fill up with the bike on the centre stand. Use only good 20/50 mineral oil as its an old air cooled lump and semi tends to give a bit of clutch slip and burn off quicker.

Great choice of bike, with a few mods it can be made to handle great, I have a 17" 5.5 back wheel and 17" 3.5 front and it grinds the pipes round corners.

Adam.

Oil light on the FJ is just a low warning indicator, they do tend to play up. Mine comes on with hard exceleration and when I am going up hill.

Cleaning the contacts helps but it a pain in the arse as the oil levell sensors right under the sump. You oil window should always fill up with the bike on the centre stand. Use only good 20/50 mineral oil as its an old air cooled lump and semi tends to give a bit of clutch slip and burn off quicker.

Great choice of bike, with a few mods it can be made to handle great, I have a 17" 5.5 back wheel and 17" 3.5 front and it grinds the pipes round corners.

Adam.

Hi adam,

thanks for the reply and so its nothing to worry about and yes it did come on once on me when going up a hill i thought hey up!!

yes great bike but heavy on the handling,,,, not pushed it to much though just had it up to 90 and then realised id not secured my saddle bags on :angry: and had a five miles ride to go fetch em!! i was on a dual carriage way at the time and the longest mother of all of em!! but The FJ made mince meat of it

have a problem with the fork seals to chap i got it from has done them once but did a few miles on em and bingo fork oil showing so hes got it back again.

do you think a fan could be fitted to a FJ? that way it wouldnt over heat in the city

stephen

Hi,

A fan on an aircooled engine would be useless unless it was about 12-15 inches in size and was 3ft. from the engine and blew a gale.

If your engine is over heating, look at the usual causes.

TIMING. Always worth checking every six months.

SPARK PLUGS. Try a grade or two colder plug.

OIL. Ask a good mechanic or look up the web on oils and their suitability for aircooled engine applications. A slightly heavier mineral oil may help. I like to use a 25-60 or thereabouts on an aircooled bike. But make sure you get the oil right. Later oils with all the fancy ingredients are of no use and tend to be less suited to aircooled bikes as they are not designed for them. 'J' series on rated oils should be avoided.

Oh! Bye the way a 25-60 oil is only really a 25, the 60 is only it's protection ability (acts like a 60 weight) when hot. By the laws of physics, oils can't get heavier than their base weight.

Aircooled engines all have hotspots, so unlike a watercooled are aided by a heavier oil to strip the heat quicker.

Regards.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online