1974 TX500, high idle, white smoke from breather tube

TX5hundy
This post is 5445 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello

I have a question regarding a 74' Yamaha TX500. I have just had it serviced (its been sitting for 25 years). Carbs rebuilt, one new (used new) ignition coil, and a cleaned gas tank. The bike runs fairly well, but I'm having two problems. First, when the bike gets good and warm, it idles to 4000 and wont come down for quite some time, and when it does it stalls. Second, there is white smoke with a gassy smell, quite a bit of it, coming from the cylinder head/crankcase breather tube located on the left side, top, and back of the engine (routed down under the bike), also only occurs when she's good and warm. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello

I have a question regarding a 74' Yamaha TX500. I have just had it serviced (its been sitting for 25 years). Carbs rebuilt, one new (used new) ignition coil, and a cleaned gas tank. The bike runs fairly well, but I'm having two problems. First, when the bike gets good and warm, it idles to 4000 and wont come down for quite some time, and when it does it stalls. Second, there is white smoke with a gassy smell, quite a bit of it, coming from the cylinder head/crankcase breather tube located on the left side, top, and back of the engine (routed down under the bike), also only occurs when she's good and warm. Any ideas?

Hi,

Sorry to say its time to stip the engine smoke/gas from the breather would indicate engine problems (this would also be connected to the hang @ 4k problem). On the good side tx/xs 500 engines come out of the frame easy and are easy to strip but there are a hell of a lot of bits in there so you need a big storage area to store them !

Regards Jim

Hi,

Sorry to say its time to stip the engine smoke/gas from the breather would indicate engine problems (this would also be connected to the hang @ 4k problem). On the good side tx/xs 500 engines come out of the frame easy and are easy to strip but there are a hell of a lot of bits in there so you need a big storage area to store them !

Regards Jim

Thanks for the timely reply Jim. I'm not too much of a motorhead, so excuse any dumb questions. When you say to 'strip' the engine and take it apart, what do you mean by that? What should I be looking at specifically?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the timely reply Jim. I'm not too much of a motorhead, so excuse any dumb questions. When you say to 'strip' the engine and take it apart, what do you mean by that? What should I be looking at specifically?

Thanks in advance.

[/quoteHi There,

you will need to drop the engine out of the frame and remove the cylinder head & perhaps the cylinder also in order to find out which part of the engine is at fault .... but I would guess the fault will lie within the cylinder head & cylinder but when you have the motor that far apart you could check the big end bearings also !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online