XT on Tour

djson
This post is 5502 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello one and all, new to this forum.

I have an old G reg XT600z it needs some work, to get it in tip top condition.

Im thinking of taking it on a LONGGGGGGG tour to India.

What are your thoughts on such a bike doing such a long distance tour.

Also if i do decide to do this, i will need some help with reconditioning the bike and getting it ready is there anyone out there who could help, for a small charge of course.

Many thanks

Realy want you good and bad comments on this.

Otherwise i need to buy something like Goldwing or BMW?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello one and all, new to this forum.

Welcome.

I have an old G reg XT600z it needs some work, to get it in tip top condition.

Im thinking of taking it on a LONGGGGGGG tour to India.

What are your thoughts on such a bike doing such a long distance tour..

The Tenere has traveled the world more times than any other bike. What about BMUU I hear? well that's only come true since Ewan & Charlie put it at the front of peoples minds. I'm not knocking then they've done a great job at bringing adventure motorcycling to the mainstream.

These bikes (I've the new one, but I also have a TTR which closely resembles your bike) are just perfect, everywhere you go you'll find someone who can fix it (should something happen), spares are everywhere, you can do just about any repair at the roadside, they are comfortable (when you've broken your backside into the seat!), and if you make a small addition like a sheepskin you can ride them all day.

Also if i do decide to do this, i will need some help with reconditioning the bike and getting it ready is there anyone out there who could help, for a small charge of course..

Pay? nooooooo. There are people up and down the country who will be more than happy to help. Overlanders are the most open, helpfull friendly group of people you will ever meet. Most travel alone so really any opportunity to 'hang out' with someone of a similar mindset is almost mandatory!!

There is resorce available, firts try here:

www.horizonsunlimited.com

Every question you can think of will be answerwed, by those doing it, done it, plannin it or just dreaming.

Otherwise i need to buy something like Goldwing or BMW?

They won't make it!

To go into the unknown you need a bike that will ride towns, open road, smooth, rough, dirt, pot holes, rivers, you-name-it type roads/paths/tracks/goat'n sheet tracks. You need a bike that you can fix yourself, or at least enough to limp to the next town or village, and most importantly it needs to look like crap - that way it will still be there when you go back to it!

Don't get me wrong, outside of the UK people admire guys on motorcycles, and mostly just want to have a look (where as here the little tw@ts would rather take it home) and talk to you, but if you hav an old bike it reduces the risk massivly.

By all means make sure it's top notch mechanically, you'll need to modify it to get your luggage on - so make that descision early on. Hard or soft luggage ?? plastic or alloy?? etc etc. You don't need to go all BMUU and have 100 litres of crap, you'll be suprised how little you actually need on the road, and how you can use the same tool for many different jobs..... I have a tyre lever with a hammer head on the other end with a 22mm socket attached to it!! three tools in one. Just think outside of the box a little and you'll be suprised.

If you've not done any off-road riding before then I'd advise you get out on the green lanes and have a go - if you don'r like it, or struggle, now is the time to deal with it.

Route - have you any ideas? north or south of the Caspian Sea ??

You've loads to think about apart from the bike (which will get you there anyway), visa's jabs, routes, carnet's, spares, fuel, insurance, getting back, safety, the list goes on and on. The more you get sorted up front, the less time you worry about it on the road.

we do have our very own long distance XT tourer here...goes by the name of Gas-up-lets go.

You may find his website interesting Here... :thumb:

Fame!!!!!

I have my 15 minutes at last.........

Destination Dakar...... 2011...........

Just taken a look at the post I put on yesterday.

Firstly would like to say a big thanks to you all out there.

I’ll address this to everyone who has answered me, collectively.

I’ll tell you something about me.

Old Git on a Bike

Hm I’m a bit like that myself.

I’ve bookmarked Smoking Tail Pipes website thanks for the info.

Gas Up - Lets Go.

Im just starting to read you website.

I’ll be 47 in a couple of months and have always wanted to do this trip, so now that I can afford it, I’m doing it.

I have ridden bikes since I was a lad, road mostly, I bought the Tenere about 3 maybe 4 years ago, and have used it on and off road, and it although old, works fine, always starts and never let me down.

Actually not the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden, the longest single ride I have done on it is about 5 hours.

I think the bike will do just fine, once I get it mechanically sound.

You have given loads of things to think about.

Well I am an international lorry driver and my dads family are Indian, live very close to the Pakistan boards near Amritsar.

I have visited India many times, first time when I was 4.

I have driven the lorry to Turkey and most of Europe.

I have a house in Bulgaria and have travelled and driven / ridden from UK to Spain to Bulgaria.

I would go straight across Europe into Romania and Bulgaria down to Turkey, Iran, Pakistan and India.

I have been to every country except Iran, so that is the only thing I don’t know.

However over the years I have know some Iranians and they tell me that Iranian people are very hospitable to travellers, and I know that in the most part the roads in Iran are good.

This route obviously depends on getting an Iranian visa, lets hope that is not a problem, otherwise maybe I will look at going north.

Although I am not a cold weather person, I can stand any amount of heat but cold does me in.

Pakistan though I have visited once many years ago, I have never driven, but I have travelled in India a lot and Pakistan will be much the same for road conditions people and livestock wandering about.

My XT certainly looks like a bag of bones, and yes I agree that it should look so not just for the reason you mention but it has lived a little.

I lived in Spain for 9 years and did a lot or riding there, on and off road, on the XT actually, I would go out on the XT to route find, if I can do it on the XT then it is not that hard, and it makes you watch what you are doing because I can’t touch the floor, so have to get it right.

I am not the greatest off roader in the world, but I can do enough I think.

I just contact the RAC about carnet, I know a thing or two about that because I have looked in to this type of trip a few times and have used carnet when crossing boarders with the truck.

Yes I’ll look at horizons forgot about them actually, old age and all that.

Anyway thanks

Roger

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online