help

richiec
This post is 5582 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all im in a bit of a pickle with the wiring on my dt125 im new to bikes so some questions are going to be stupid.

here we go

1.what voltage will this bike run on im asuming its a 12 volt system.

2.none of the electrics on the bike work the bike runs but no lights or clocks etc ive been told the rectifier has gone.

3.i havent got any voltage across the battery even with the bike running.

thanks in advance

richie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

take out the bulbs and check to see if they are 6 or 12v, its not a foolproof way of telling what voltage it is but if the majority are 6v then its probably a 6v system. what year is the bike?

if you arent getting any output from the mag then this may be down to the reg/rec unit, check for an input voltage to this unit

Hi richie, not familiar with the bike but isnt it an elec start one? It will be 12V. If you arent getting any voltage measured across the battery then the battery will be an Ex battery, youre gonna need a new one and take it from there.

hi all im in a bit of a pickle with the wiring on my dt125 im new to bikes so some questions are going to be stupid.

here we go

1.what voltage will this bike run on im asuming its a 12 volt system.

2.none of the electrics on the bike work the bike runs but no lights or clocks etc ive been told the rectifier has gone.

3.i havent got any voltage across the battery even with the bike running.

thanks in advance

richie

can you sing Cwm Rhonda ? if so I'd start there :)

only kidding, you'll get all the help you should need on here, OG and Jim R are your guru's isnt it !

Jim R will be tucked up by now tho' :)

thanks for the quick reply guys will check everything tomorrow now and report back

oldgitonabike its a kick start bike no fancy electric start here lol

Ok if its an old style battery, count the filling plugs 6=12v and 3=6v

surely he would be getting a charging output even if it was a dead battery?, only when the bike is turned off the battery would not hold its charge

abit confused now just checked the bulbs the only one with a rating was the front sidelight bulb which was 12v i have also taken the battery off and it has 3 cells and the following number on it 6n6-3b-1 if that helps

Yep...I think that rich knows this...and the bulb with 12v on it is 12volts... :lol:

but the battery is 6v, so the bulb will only be recieving 6v not 12v, thus it is twice as big as it needs to be and will be half as bright.

well actually, taking into account ohms law it wont be EXACTLY half as bright, but you get the general idea

so its a 6 volt bike with the wrong bulbs lol next step i supose is replacing the battery and getting the correct bulbs and going from there

cheers

richie

It looks that way, if your battery measures zilch then its fubard., but Foamy has a point when he said you should have charge voltage showing, it depends on the battery though it may be shorting internally then you wont see the charge voltage...too early to say apart from what you have already found wrong.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online