Key for 1981 Maxim

Steelrider
This post is 5578 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can I just replace the Key on my 1981 Yamaha Maxim 550 without replacing the lock? If so where can I look to find one.

blanks come up on ebay.

there's a company in USA who can supply via the lock number ( my friend used the once)

Your local Professional Auto Locksmiths will do you a set for a decent price.

Shop around and get some quotes to sift out the cowboys, though. Not all the ones in the phonebook are professionals.

Can I just replace the Key on my 1981 Yamaha Maxim 550 without replacing the lock? If so where can I look to find one.

My Yammy dealer says that with the ignition number they can order me a brand new factory key for both my 1980 XS400 and my 1980 XS1100. I think they want like $40 for the key though, and I keep thinking about it as I have only a single key for each bike, but then I could probably go down to a locksmith and get a set made cheaper, but they might not look quite as nice, or say yamaha on them. :blink:

pull the ignition assembly out and get the key code off of the bottom, there is a guy on e-bay, I think his username is crazy_key. He will cut you one for $14

For $40 a pro Lockie will cut you 3 keys.

And yes, they will have nice keys that say Yamaha on them!!

Professionals get their business through word of mouth, so their work has to be good enough and their prices reasonable enough to attract repeat business and recommendations.

For $40 a pro Lockie will cut you 3 keys.

And yes, they will have nice keys that say Yamaha on them!!

Professionals get their business through word of mouth, so their work has to be good enough and their prices reasonable enough to attract repeat business and recommendations.

Thanks, Ill try one of these and let you know.

Thanks, Ill try one of these and let you know.

Yeah, I gotta find one that can setup all my fairing and bag keys to be the same, might be fun since right now they don't even all take the same style key.

Yeah, I gotta find one that can setup all my fairing and bag keys to be the same, might be fun since right now they don't even all take the same style key.

But they may be able to find plugs that fit the cylinderways. From there they can re-pin the locks to match the key.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online