oil change, what kind?

Vincent Moy
This post is 5580 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

My 82 XS400 with some miles on it could use an oil change. I'm put some fred meyer 10W-40 mixed with something the previous owner put in.

I am wondering do I need to use those motocycle specific oil or just auto ones will be fine.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

My 82 XS400 with some miles on it could use an oil change. I'm put some fred meyer 10W-40 mixed with something the previous owner put in.

I am wondering do I need to use those motocycle specific oil or just auto ones will be fine.

Thanks

motorcycle oil as there are different additives in there.

I still cant find a good oil to use, should I stay away from Castrol GTX (normal oil, not semi or sys oil) 20w-50 car oil? What do you recommend that I can get local at a parts store to use?

I use Millars sport 20w-50 semi synth for classic engines but its £32 for 5 liters

8180.jpg

I suppose you can use GTX as I'm sure most bikers in the 70's/80's did. The yam service manual says the oil should be "SE" type and of course use Yamalube!!

I use Millars sport 20w-50 semi synth for classic engines but its £32 for 5 liters

8180.jpg

I suppose you can use GTX as I'm sure most bikers in the 70's/80's did. The yam service manual says the oil should be "SE" type and of course use Yamalube!!

I just bought som castrol specific oil for motorcycles/wet clutches so I am good to go.

I still cant find a good oil to use, should I stay away from Castrol GTX (normal oil, not semi or sys oil) 20w-50 car oil? What do you recommend that I can get local at a parts store to use?

I would recommend staying away from anything that says it's energy saving. That will mean a slipping clutch. Either motorcycle oil or oil intended for diesel engines should work well with your engine. That said, I have been running auto oils (20/50) in my XS400 for over 20,000 miles with no problems.

All of that said, I have recently switched to MC oils as I can get them at my local auto parts store for just slightly more than auto oil. That said I consider semi-synth oils to be a waste in these bikes, mine is fine having run dino oil all it's life with almost 50,000 on the clock and still going strong. My XS1100 has 80,000 on the clock and still going fine, just dino oil. I do need to replace the clutch on both bikes, and the 400 needs the seals and gaskets replaced from sitting for 13 years on other than ideal conditions (yes it was fully prepped for storage before storage so other than dried out seals and some external corrosion on the metal parts it's actually in good shape).

I just bought som castrol specific oil for motorcycles/wet clutches so I am good to go.

Where I buy my oil, they have castrol both for bikes and for wet clutches, but they don't carry the wet clutch type in 20/50 and they wanted more for it, and I just felt it was better for ME to use the proper weight than to use something formulated for wet clutches since most MC's have wet clutches (except I believe Ducati's and they are known for burning out they clutch).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online