Sleeping beauty or dead duck? Prospective Thundercat buyer's questions

catnut
This post is 5582 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, first post from a new member :rolleyes: I passed my practical on an SR125 and loved how reliable it was when I had it. Now after a while I've found myself with the opportunity of buying a thundercat.

I discovered it by talking to the owner at a social gathering and he mentioned that he used to ride a thundercat. So I asked him to show it to me and at the bottom of the garden under a tree, from under a cover was unveiled a mint looking sliver/yellow thundercat. Bone stock from what I could see (apart from a yolk cover and a tank pad). This guy had buggered his shoulder up about 4 years ago and found that he just couldn't operate the controls of the bike safely enough to warrant riding it and its just been sitting there with 8200 miles on the clock. Its got quite a few cobwebs in the cockpit and a few leaves at the bottom but I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers as he's prepared to accept offers in the region of £1000. What kind of things should I look out for, is it wise to try and start it if its been sitting so long, what kind of work would it need to get back on the road etc etc, basically, does it have the potential of being a good deal. I'd really appreciate your info as I'll either buy it as an alternative for my other bike or do it up and sell it on.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pitted forks and hardend seals,

bunged up carbs full of old petrol,

rust on the inside of the tank,

new battery,

the biggest problem could be rust in the bores if its been lying outside in the damp (even though it was covered).

even though it may look mint and have low miles you are looking at a project that may cost more than its worth, not to mention the time.

when was it last running?

I'm gonna have another chat with the bloke but I think he said the last time he ran it was last year *winces* but said that when it started it sounded fine. Probs a good idea if I actually get to see the bike again and talk to him before I post any more ;) how much of the above is sortable at home, my freinds dad is a bit of a wiz with bikes so he might be able to have a look at it hopefully but thanks for the bike-specific info, much appreciated! :thumb:

it could all be sorted out at home

the only thing is the bores, the problem with them is you cant see them without stripping the engine.

if the forks only have very light surface rust then a rub with very fine wet+dry paper and a coat of WD40.

the carbs can be stripped but unless you have done it before or feel confident you can do it get someone to do it, they can be awkward and have to be set up properly.

take someone with a good knowledge of bikes with you next time you look at her. i still do this even with 25+ years of bikes (4 eyes see more than 2)

the thing to remember is

price of bike + cost of fixing + time involved

Took 2 technically minded friends together and after inspection, pricing up and bartering, finally bought it for £850. She is a minter, just needs new consumables (tyres, chain, oil and filter change) and a carb clean (will be sorted by said friends) and she'll be with the pack on the roads again where she belongs :D