Yb100 wiring

atocp
This post is 5506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok. This is quite an easy, or straight forward question. But this is my first bike, and I haven't had it running yet. Its the electrical thats tripping me up!

I have wired up the bike, by using the Haynes Manual. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a wiring diagram for the exact wiring loom i have, as things should be in block connectors when they aren't. The question is this....I have the electrics running, but the headlight and full beam wont work. The bulbs are fine, and the connectors are in the right place. Will getting the engine going if connectors are in the wrong place do damage to the electrics? Do the electrics work any differently (apart from running brighter etc) from when it is running from the engine, as opposed to battery alone?

There are a couple of other wiring problems im having, like the tail light permenantly on until I hit the brake! But for now, i'd settle for solving this one!

Its a YB100 1989. 2U0 Model.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok. This is quite an easy, or straight forward question. But this is my first bike, and I haven't had it running yet. Its the electrical thats tripping me up!

I have wired up the bike, by using the Haynes Manual. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a wiring diagram for the exact wiring loom i have, as things should be in block connectors when they aren't. The question is this....I have the electrics running, but the headlight and full beam wont work. The bulbs are fine, and the connectors are in the right place. Will getting the engine going if connectors are in the wrong place do damage to the electrics? Do the electrics work any differently (apart from running brighter etc) from when it is running from the engine, as opposed to battery alone?

There are a couple of other wiring problems im having, like the tail light permenantly on until I hit the brake! But for now, i'd settle for solving this one!

Its a YB100 1989. 2U0 Model.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

atocp

Hi Atocp

the main lights will not light without the engine running so i guess you will need to get the engine running to check them out ... but check where the loom passes under the bottom yoke for breaks as you may switch the main lights on (position II on the main switch) and blow the lot. I would guess you have a sticking/incorrectly adjusted brake light switch or a worn frame to allow the rear brake light to stay on until you move the rear brake pedal.

Regards Jim

Thank you Jim for the quick reply.

As its a relatively small bike, and a simple wiring harness, would it be advisable to remove the wiring, and get it working, OUTSIDE the frame, before the bike is started?

The rear break light doesn't come on at all unfortunately. The tail-light element glows, but when the brake is pressed, the tail-light element goes out, and the brake light element doesn't come on.

Thank you Jim for the quick reply.

As its a relatively small bike, and a simple wiring harness, would it be advisable to remove the wiring, and get it working, OUTSIDE the frame, before the bike is started?

The rear break light doesn't come on at all unfortunately. The tail-light element glows, but when the brake is pressed, the tail-light element goes out, and the brake light element doesn't come on.

Hi,

if that happens the battery is not up too much, it is good to remember the bike does need to be running in order for the electrics to work correctly. The best thing you can do is to get the engine running & sort the wirring from there ... There is some chance there is nothing wrong bar the engine not running and a below par battery. Pulling the loom of the bike & trying to trouble shoot/get it working outside the frame will give you more a load more work and prduce errors that did not exist when the loom was insitu via it's earths not being sound. So the first thing to do is to run the engine ... or do you have a problem where the engine will not run ?

Regards Jim

I dont actually know if the engine will run. I got the bike for free a couple of years ago, and having never ridden...rode...rided....having never driven a bike before, and having to reconstruct this one from scratch over the past year, im only at the point now, where I am in a position to run the engine.

I will do as you suggest, and leave the loom as is for now. And I shall try and get the engine working first. The battery is brand new, and was giving out 6.8V once it was made and charged. But I will top it up with a little trickle charge.

Thank you for the help Jim, no doubt I will be back on in the next few days if things dont go to plan!

Cheers again,

atocp

I dont actually know if the engine will run. I got the bike for free a couple of years ago, and having never ridden...rode...rided....having never driven a bike before, and having to reconstruct this one from scratch over the past year, im only at the point now, where I am in a position to run the engine.

I will do as you suggest, and leave the loom as is for now. And I shall try and get the engine working first. The battery is brand new, and was giving out 6.8V once it was made and charged. But I will top it up with a little trickle charge.

Thank you for the help Jim, no doubt I will be back on in the next few days if things dont go to plan!

Cheers again,

atocp

Hi atocp

let us know how you get on !!

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online