Thundercat low speed running

kritch
This post is 5585 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I've just got myself a 99 Thundercat totaly standard and very clean with 34k on it. When running around town only does this at low speeds 30mph and under and in any gear at about 2500rpm mark the bike starts to go chuggy almost like the chain is slack or like a V-twin in to high a gear its the only time is misbehaves never misses a beat in any other rev or gear does anyone else have the same problem any ideas as to what it is I'm going to balanced the carbs to see if this helps or is this a common thing with them or is there an other possible issue with it thanks.

Cheers All

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

I've just got myself a 99 Thundercat totaly standard and very clean with 34k on it. When running around town only does this at low speeds 30mph and under and in any gear at about 2500rpm mark the bike starts to go chuggy almost like the chain is slack or like a V-twin in to high a gear its the only time is misbehaves never misses a beat in any other rev or gear does anyone else have the same problem any ideas as to what it is I'm going to balanced the carbs to see if this helps or is this a common thing with them or is there an other possible issue with it thanks.

Cheers All

hia i have a similar fault with a 1993 fzr 600 but i cant pin point it still goes like hell though thought it might be cam chain or cam chain adjuster but it isnt its realy weird

My FZR does something similar, i posted about it a long time ago.

I was told by a dealer that its a common feature of the FZR as the timing is set slightly in advance to give more power higher up the range.

As a result, riders always find it a bit lumpy under 3000 rpm.

Also tends to lead to a worn clutch as people slip the clutch to get revs up.

You've just got to take it into account and ride accordingly (drop a gear when riding thru town etc)

Hope this helps!!

hia i have a similar fault with a 1993 fzr 600 but i cant pin point it still goes like hell though thought it might be cam chain or cam chain adjuster but it isnt its realy weird

Hi Fizzer

What else have you tried on your bike to sort it out?

My FZR does something similar, i posted about it a long time ago.

I was told by a dealer that its a common feature of the FZR as the timing is set slightly in advance to give more power higher up the range.

As a result, riders always find it a bit lumpy under 3000 rpm.

Also tends to lead to a worn clutch as people slip the clutch to get revs up.

You've just got to take it into account and ride accordingly (drop a gear when riding thru town etc)

Hope this helps!!

Hi Vic

Did you try anything to sort it out or do you just aviod the low revs?

Hi all

Cheers All

Hi ive a 98 thundercat 39k yep they do seem to run a bit chuggy at lower rev's when i got mine i gave the air filter a good clean out fitted a new set of plugs gave the carbs a good clean out then got them balanced and adjusted the clutch did improve it a lot

some good advise and how to's specific to the cat here http://www.yzf600r.com/

also, the pilot mixture might be a little off. At those RPM's i think it begins to transition into the idle circuit in the carbs... just something to consider. If that is the case i don't think balancing the carbs would have much effect, i would have a dealer check those pilot screws.

On second thought, it also seems a lot like a clutch issue, do you ever have problems with shifting or slippage or any weird noises coming from the crankcase, like a chattering???

On second thought, it also seems a lot like a clutch issue, do you ever have problems with shifting or slippage or any weird noises coming from the crankcase, like a chattering???

Hi Junker

Thanks what your saying sound more like it however I've balance the carbs its made it a load better but not resolved it, no problem with changing gear or slipping, but when its at 2500 rpm in all 4,5,6 gears around town it does sound like chattering, its like being on a V twin in to high a gear, ( if youve ever rode a V twin you'd know)

What all have you done to your bike to solve it have you sorted it? can't see how it would be a clutch problem as it only does it at 2500 rpm every where else in the rev range bike pulls clean and strong no knocks or clunks and the gear box is smooth in all gears.

I've spoken to another owner his bike does the same its got just under 5k on it from new its a 2000 one. Apaort from this really like the bike.

Cheers

K

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online