indicator relays

wild foamy
This post is 5589 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

the indicator relay on my DT keeps a continuous flash until the battery runs out, even with the indicators disconnected (or a bulb blown) it can be heard "ticking" at the same rate. wheras the ones on my jawa will change their rate according to battery condition (if ive got the lights on the indicators sometimes wont flash at all but stay on) and seem to operate on resistance because if a bulb is blown the remaining indicator will not flash but remains on instead.

this normal?, no doubt its going to lead to a majour piss-take about my beloved slovak hog :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone.

the indicator relay on my DT keeps a continuous flash until the battery runs out, even with the indicators disconnected (or a bulb blown) it can be heard "ticking" at the same rate. wheras the ones on my jawa will change their rate according to battery condition (if ive got the lights on the indicators sometimes wont flash at all but stay on) and seem to operate on resistance because if a bulb is blown the remaining indicator will not flash but remains on instead.

this normal?, no doubt its going to lead to a majour piss-take about my beloved slovak hog :unsure:

Hi WF

the Jawa is normal to do this ... in order to heat you the relay both bulbs must be drawing current if a bulb blows or is disconnected or has a bad earth. With the both lights staying on this would indicate (excuse the pun) a bad earth. If current is supplied at a high rate they will flash faster (the relay contacts heat up quicker) to the point when the bike is flat out its difficult to work out if they are flashing or not ..... a cure is to fit a jap flasher can (of the correct wattage or replace the bulbs to suit the new can) and make sure the earths are spot on !!! btw there's nothing wrong with slovak hogs ... I love um !

Regards Jim

so there's a difference between a relay and a can?

Nope can is a slang for a relay .... if you fit an asian unit rather than the original you will have to do what I said in the previous post but there is no definitive point that an asian unit will work correctly if the Jawa's charging circut is over charging ... if its at the spec it will work but as you know where you are I guess you can sort that out !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online