Carb Problem

cegan09
This post is 5579 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've had this issue on and off for a few weeks. When i go to start the bike, turn the petcocks on, ignition on, kick it over, the bike resists starting, but also the right carb starts to drain fuel. Its a decent stream of fuel, not sure where exactly it is coming out, as I've seen it from both the engine and air filter side. I've taken the carbs apart a few times to try and find a problem, and nothing looks wrong. Any ideas what might be wrong?

When it doesn't start doing this the bike is pretty good about starting in 1 or 2 kicks.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've had this issue on and off for a few weeks. When i go to start the bike, turn the petcocks on, ignition on, kick it over, the bike resists starting, but also the right carb starts to drain fuel. Its a decent stream of fuel, not sure where exactly it is coming out, as I've seen it from both the engine and air filter side. I've taken the carbs apart a few times to try and find a problem, and nothing looks wrong. Any ideas what might be wrong?

When it doesn't start doing this the bike is pretty good about starting in 1 or 2 kicks.

thanks

Hi

I guess the carbs are suffering from 'being made to soon' (worn) & would guess the leak is from the float bowl overflow. If so you need to check that the float still floats (put it in a container of fuel and see if it sinks) and the needle attched to it (check by adding fuel to the r/h carb via the r/h tap and GENTLEY) pushing the needle up .... to see if fuel still leeks past it. If so you have your problem sorted if not check the float height on the R/H carb.

The starting problem may be linked or perhaps the ignition timming incorrect ... I would guess tho you have already set that up !

Regards Jim

If I may add something here,you might want to check the oil level. If it is over full there may be gas in the oil & it would need to be changed. You can also remove the fill plug and smell of it. You can smell the gas in the oil.

If I may add something here,you might want to check the oil level. If it is over full there may be gas in the oil & it would need to be changed. You can also remove the fill plug and smell of it. You can smell the gas in the oil.

Where did the post mention that ? with what you intimate I guess you think the engine is beyond redemption, if fuel is in the oil, but as the engine starts & runs I would guess the engine is still fairly healthy and we have a starting/carb issue rather than an engine decline .... We don't have the oil light on (when running as per post) nor do we have the mechanical noise (as per post) that is synonymous with 'total engine melt down'

Regards Jim

Thanks, i will pull them off and look into what you suggested. The timing was off, however has been fixed. I know the engine is good, thought it does need an oil change, just since its been a little while since the last one. When it isn't exhibiting this "puking" problem it pulls very well. I'm pretty sure that this issue is linked to the starting problem, since it kicks right up until this starts. I was on it today, and it started to bog, and was leaking fuel from the carbs when i stopped. Assuming that they are linked i'll test the carbs and see if i can't figure it out.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i found the problem. One of the floats has liquid in it. Time for a new one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online