Fine Tuning a 1974 DT250a

DTGordo
This post is 5458 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I've got the bike running reasonably well although it sounds as though the timing is out a little. It has a slight tinny rattle at high revs that and doesn't quite want to rev out like a 2 stroke should. I set the points using a dial guage and a thin piece of paper and I know I'm close. Runs really well up to 70km/hr.

My question is can I use anything else that will give me a better reading on the points? Is it a bit hit and miss and just keep trying? The manual refers to points testers but I haven't met anyone in a bike shop that knows what that is and apparently a multi-meter or light bulb won't work.

Appreciate any advice....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I've got the bike running reasonably well although it sounds as though the timing is out a little. It has a slight tinny rattle at high revs that and doesn't quite want to rev out like a 2 stroke should. I set the points using a dial guage and a thin piece of paper and I know I'm close. Runs really well up to 70km/hr.

My question is can I use anything else that will give me a better reading on the points? Is it a bit hit and miss and just keep trying? The manual refers to points testers but I haven't met anyone in a bike shop that knows what that is and apparently a multi-meter or light bulb won't work.

A thin piece of paper should really be good enough, the normal method would be to use a hand rolled cigerette paper.

If you want to use a multi meter you will have to switch it to the ohms range because your bike is a magneto operated ignition system so will not have voltage across the open points like a battery ignition system would. I would prefer to use an analog meter (one with a pointer) rather than a digital one, set to the 200 ohms range. While you are at it check your points are not burned and pitted, if so replace them and the condenser.

Hi all,

Hi

if you want to get a Yamaha points checker (very sensitve ohm meter) do a google search for 'yamaha points checker' and you will get some results .... to date I'm not sure wether to buy one as I'm converting the old points controlled ignition systems for CDI

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online