ARRRGGGGGGGG!

cerrinofs1e
This post is 5594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

o.k. new here so intro first, im jason, experianced rider with passion for 2 stroke.

now down to the problem at hand...

After many attempts and differing problems my tzr 125 88 made her first cough last week, build from bits with alot of help from ebay and haynes.

BUT... she wont start, problem being no (very little) fuel is getting to the engine (spark plug's dry), so 1st thought CARB, checked float hight n condition, jets, pipes, tap, intake, everything, no visable or apparent problems,

its a standard 28mm mikuni, custom air filter (k n N), ov bore 1.0 + piston oversize, single ring (top)

she intermitently backfires and pisses fuel out from all 3 over flow pipes but ive got no further than that, all earths checked n is a new cdi.

Any advice or just a comiserating warm welcome, i'd be happy with both.

regards jason

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there Jason. Welcome to the club.

I'm the same as you. Love 2 strokes. Just building up an old kwac AR125. I had a very similar problem to you and i found it was the petrol tank tap well full of brown sludge. Failing that, considering you are getting fuel from overflows, sounds like weak spark. What I do is take the carb off completely and squirt petrol straight into the head, fire it and it should rev its nuts off. Replace carb and then remove air filter and squirt petrol into the carb. This bypass's the tank and jets. Sometimes if the bike hasn't been ran for a while you can heat up the spark plug using a blow torch. Have you checked the spark to see if it is strong? Maybe could do with replacing. Hope this helps. Phil

o.k. new here so intro first, im jason, experianced rider with passion for 2 stroke.

now down to the problem at hand...

After many attempts and differing problems my tzr 125 88 made her first cough last week, build from bits with alot of help from ebay and haynes.

BUT... she wont start, problem being no (very little) fuel is getting to the engine (spark plug's dry), so 1st thought CARB, checked float hight n condition, jets, pipes, tap, intake, everything, no visable or apparent problems,

its a standard 28mm mikuni, custom air filter (k n N), ov bore 1.0 + piston oversize, single ring (top)

she intermitently backfires and pisses fuel out from all 3 over flow pipes but ive got no further than that, all earths checked n is a new cdi.

Any advice or just a comiserating warm welcome, i'd be happy with both.

regards jason

Hi Jason,

A dry plug with misfires makes me think you have an ignition problem and the fuel leakage from the carb overflows would indicate a float or needle problem. Are you sure that the woodruff key holding the mag on is ok & the mag is tight !! There is a chance if this is incorrect the timming may be out.

The Carb losing fuel is a different issue so I guess you need to strip the carb out !

Regards Jim