XJ600 reserve fuel switch not working

markultra
This post is 5574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I usually have the fuel tap in the "on" position, but when I run out of fuel and switch to "res" the bike won't start. I have been using the prime position but that has no effect either. It seems as though there is actually no fuel left. Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have not had this problem on my 1990 XJ600 (now 56000miles). The prime and reserve probably are using the same outlet from the tank, which is the lowest point of the tank, which is where are the debris and rust and sludge collect. If the bike has been unused for a while it could be clogged up, either at the entrance to the tap, or in the tap itself.

Depending on your own confidence and abilities you might be able to check the valve for blockages, this is what I'd do in my garden, not in the kitchen.

Run the bike till as empty as you can get it (for me this would be 160 miles from full to reserve, leaving about 4 litres in the tank).

Clear the are of all flames, daft mates with ciggy's, delinquents with fireworks

Put tap in the on position (with engine not running the valve should stay closed).

Remove the tank (2 hose on fuel tap, one plug to the fuel level sender, one bolt beneath the seat)

Slosh the tank gently to pick up any sludge in the bottom.

Lay the tank gently on it's right hand side on soemthing soft (maybe on a Blackand decker workmate or planks on floor, and make sure it is securely propped up so it doesn't fall)

remove the fuel tap assembly carefully, don't damage any seals that may be there (Mr Haynes is silent on this subject)

Have a good look at the assembly, see if it looks clean or blocked (On my previous Kwak there was an integral filter that came out with the tap) depending on what you see you may decide what to do next.

If I could think of a safe and effective way of draing all the petrol out of the tank I'd tell you, but I can't, and it's embarrassing going to casualty for swallowing petrol not to say dangerous, so don't try syphoning.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the tank side of the tap if you were able to take one.

Hope that that helps, let me know how you get on.

I had this problem on my '92 XJ600 several years back. There is a short tube in the bottom of the tank where the fuel is drawn from when the switch is in the 'on' position. When the fuel level falls below the top of this tube the bike begins to die and one switches to the 'res' position, which draws from the lowest level of the tank. If the tube falls out of its hole in the bottom of the tank both the 'on' and 'res' positions are the same and when the bike dies you are out of ALL available fuel. Try shining a flashlight in the empty tank to see if you can spot the tube. Remove the empty tank and shake it a bit to see if you can heat the loose tube rattling around. I removed the flange on the bottom of the tank and bonded the tube back in place with fuel resistant adhesive (polysulfide epoxy, found at a boat parts store) and it had been good for several years. Good luck!

-Zimmy

Hi,

I usually have the fuel tap in the "on" position, but when I run out of fuel and switch to "res" the bike won't start. I have been using the prime position but that has no effect either. It seems as though there is actually no fuel left. Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it?

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online