XJ600S Fuel Tap Weirdness

BenPope
This post is 5595 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I purchased my Divvy 600 a little while ago, it had been off the road for a few years, so I've been giving a service.

Anyway, I took apart the fuel tap to clean it, and I can't work out the labelling, it just seems completely wrong.

At 12 o'clock (labelled Res) it appears to connect together the on and reserve pipes, which would be off. At 3 (labelled Pri), it connects reserve and outlet, at 6 (labelled On) just sits in line with the outlet (which would be off) and at 9 (which you can't do due to a lug) it connects On pipe and outlet.

So I'm not really working out how it all works. Especially Prime. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dunno but 'Prime' gives a direct feed to carbs without the need for the engine to be running and hence the vacuum developed to open the fuel cock under normal conditions. The reason for this is if the bike has been run dry of fuel or carbs have been stripped etc....Hope im not telling you to 'suck eggs with this'

...Paul

Hi,

I purchased my Divvy 600 a little while ago, it had been off the road for a few years, so I've been giving a service.

Anyway, I took apart the fuel tap to clean it, and I can't work out the labelling, it just seems completely wrong.

At 12 o'clock (labelled Res) it appears to connect together the on and reserve pipes, which would be off. At 3 (labelled Pri), it connects reserve and outlet, at 6 (labelled On) just sits in line with the outlet (which would be off) and at 9 (which you can't do due to a lug) it connects On pipe and outlet.

So I'm not really working out how it all works. Especially Prime. Any ideas?

Hi Ben,

First thing to think about are you looking at the tap in the side panel or the tank (behind the the fuel pump) ?

I guess the side panel one & if so there is no OFF (the fuel pump handles this) Res would connect both on & reserve pipes to ensure all fuel is taken from the tank. Pri would connect reserve to outlet in order to bypass the normal circuts and of course in the on position that pipe will sit inline in order to supply fuel

Regards Jim

The prime is used after you run out, or some other interruption in the fuel line (changing the filter etc)

prime allows the free flow of fuel to the carbs under gravity, the fuel is sucked into the carbs when the tap is ON or RESERVE, so you would have the tap to ON when removing the tank from the bike, you still get a small dribble of fuel left in the tubing, if the tap was on PRIME,,,,,,, :blink: it would piss out :)

The prime is used after you run out, or some other interruption in the fuel line (changing the filter etc)

prime allows the free flow of fuel to the carbs under gravity, the fuel is sucked into the carbs when the tap is ON or RESERVE, so you would have the tap to ON when removing the tank from the bike, you still get a small dribble of fuel left in the tubing, if the tap was on PRIME,,,,,,, :blink: it would piss out :)

Hi Jim

thats what I said !!!! :D

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online