Air filters

metal hed11
This post is 5592 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ill start off by saying hi to everyone and thanking in advance for the help. I just purchased my first motorcycle which is a 1980 xs400, its missing a seat and the airboxes, but i got a good deal on it so i bought it. Instead of buying airboxes and air filters could i just buy a cone air filter and hose clamp it on the back of the carbs? if so what size should i buy?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

cone filters are an option, they usually come with their own hose clamp already on the rubber so all you do is tighten it around the carb inlet.

the cone filters allow more air to get to the enigne than the standard airboxes do, therefore you need to up the fuel flow to compensate.

you would possibly need to re-jet your carb, which is a fairly simple procedure.

cone filters are an option, they usually come with their own hose clamp already on the rubber so all you do is tighten it around the carb inlet.

the cone filters allow more air to get to the enigne than the standard airboxes do, therefore you need to up the fuel flow to compensate.

you would possibly need to re-jet your carb, which is a fairly simple procedure.

would you happen to know what size filters are needed? i figured id need to jet it if i were to use the cone filters. thanks for the help

not familiar with your specific bike mate, measure the outside diameter of the carb inlet and buy a filter in the size (my DT50 uses a 28mm cone filter)

well i guess if anyone has removed their airbox from their bike did you have to rejet the carbs? also im wondering if this has something to do with the high-revving when i start the bike on full choke? Anyone have any ideas?

well i guess if anyone has removed their airbox from their bike did you have to rejet the carbs? also im wondering if this has something to do with the high-revving when i start the bike on full choke? Anyone have any ideas?

does it settle down when warm or hang high, then settles down?

no it stays up around 6k, i havent left it idle for any period of time that high because that didnt sound right to me.

then you have an air leak my friend.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online