Sump plugs - FZ400, FZ600, Help please

This post is 5598 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings from a lovely sunny day in geordie land!

I'm after a little bit of help.

I have a '87 FZ400 project bike, all is going well so far, but today One of my sump plugs broke when I was tightening it up after removing it.

Now, I know the FZ400 was a 'grey' import to the UK, and that the FZ600(late 80s models) was a UK bike with virtually everything the exact same as the 400 except engine and clocks, and possibly other bits.

I know this as I've got an exhaust set from a 600 on my 400, and when I looked at the 600 in the scrap yard I could tell most was the same.

Anyway back my ordeal, Does anyone know which other bikes sump plugs would go into my FZ400? its like a very big thread, on wemoto.com they're selling a magnetic one for the FZ600 (late 80s models) I'll probably go for that as a replacement.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ginger Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got some more info guys,

the allen key size is 10mm and I put my measuring calipers on the threads, and the width of the bolts thread is 19.5mm

Hope this helps, even if someone knows if the FZR range has a 10mm allen key bolt for the oil drain. I'd guess then its the same thread size as my bolt,

Thanks

Chris

why not get a stainless one.

I ordered a sump plug from a2a4 fixings, cheap and with an allen socket, its called hex socket pipe screws

drewps

okay ive narrowed it down to 2 different sizes, but not sure which is the correct one, theyre still gonna be £3-4 each and the min order value has to be £5, with postage of £3.75

I looked at pics of the fz600 on bikepics.com and it looks just the same from the outside, so it would make sense for yamaha to use the same drain bolt for different model bikes.

Its around £5 for a magnetic one from wemoto.com and I believe their postage is £1.95 or so, but If I order a Brake lever at the same time it'll make the postage more worth it.

Thanks

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online