XS650 rattle

johnniebiker
This post is 5595 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anybody shed some light on this.

My 1977 xs650 of 25000mls has a strange rattle when I start it up then dissapears in about a minute or less. It sounds a bit like piston slap but then it goes away?

I have checked and adjusted the tappets and cam chain (cam chain did not need adjusting).

It seems like something is waiting for oil then when it gets some it stops rattling.

It runs really well otherwise, I am just a bit concerned about this noise on start up.

Any ideas?

John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

get someone to start it and hold a long screwdriver to your ear and the engine where you think i might be.

If you can pin pont the aea maybe soem one can shed some light on your problem!!

Can anybody shed some light on this.

My 1977 xs650 of 25000mls has a strange rattle when I start it up then dissapears in about a minute or less. It sounds a bit like piston slap but then it goes away?

I have checked and adjusted the tappets and cam chain (cam chain did not need adjusting).

It seems like something is waiting for oil then when it gets some it stops rattling.

It runs really well otherwise, I am just a bit concerned about this noise on start up.

Any ideas?

John

Hi John,

I've had that one loads of times in the late 70's believe it or believe it not :- you need to fit a new cam chain. The first time I heard that noise it ended up with a factory tech guy visiting the dealership I worked in to asess this noise and it turned out to be the chain .... Replacing the chain is a pain in the butt as it's an engine out job but once you've done a few you can get it down to a couple of hours as long as the engine comes out of the frame easy and those damm exhaust studs don't break off !

Regards Jim

Hi John,

I've had that one loads of times in the late 70's believe it or believe it not :- you need to fit a new cam chain. The first time I heard that noise it ended up with a factory tech guy visiting the dealership I worked in to asess this noise and it turned out to be the chain .... Replacing the chain is a pain in the butt as it's an engine out job but once you've done a few you can get it down to a couple of hours as long as the engine comes out of the frame easy and those damm exhaust studs don't break off !

Regards Jim

So it's not pending doom then? :rolleyes: ....... I have a 2-300 mile trip planned soon, Is it likely to implode on me and take my legs off or just rattle for a while on start up? :huh:

Thanks so far, :D

John

So it's not pending doom then? :rolleyes: ....... I have a 2-300 mile trip planned soon, Is it likely to implode on me and take my legs off or just rattle for a while on start up? :huh:

Thanks so far, :D

John

Hi John,

it will just rattle on startup my own XS650 suffered from this noise and managed to cover about 4000 before I got around to doing it (that included a run from Worcter to Glasgow & back in 24 hours !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online