xs400 No clutch cable tension after friction plate change

TechieTopher
This post is 5596 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright not completely sure what went wrong here. My clutch in my 82' xs400 Special has been slipping at high rpms so I recently purchased new friction plates and springs.

So I take the cover off, take the springs off, remove the plates, replace the friction plates with the new ones after soaking them(reused the steel plates), and replaced the springs with the new ones. I tightened the retention bolts down until they seated and replaced the cover using a new gasket. Simple right????????

Now I have no tension in my clutch cable ... nada ... nothing. What the heck am I missing here? I should note that I checked the clutch cable and it is connected. I also adjusted throught the range of adjustment. Nothing. I'm thinking something moved but I don't know what.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright not completely sure what went wrong here. My clutch in my 82' xs400 Special has been slipping at high rpms so I recently purchased new friction plates and springs.

So I take the cover off, take the springs off, remove the plates, replace the friction plates with the new ones after soaking them(reused the steel plates), and replaced the springs with the new ones. I tightened the retention bolts down until they seated and replaced the cover using a new gasket. Simple right????????

Now I have no tension in my clutch cable ... nada ... nothing. What the heck am I missing here? I should note that I checked the clutch cable and it is connected. I also adjusted throught the range of adjustment. Nothing. I'm thinking something moved but I don't know what.

did you lose the steel ball along the clutch rod? it sits between the steel mushroom part and the clutch rod near the clutch basket

Hi,

did you refit the pressure plate correctly ?

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online