Should I do it?

1gr8ryd
This post is 5600 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello I am a new member and a new rider. I have the opportunity to buy an 81 Maxim xj650 for my first bike. The bike has been customized to resemable a sportster. For the $1200 asking price, the owner is honest that the fork seals leak, and "believes" that the valves need adjustment due to a slight tapping in the top of the motor. The motor starts right up every time, but stalls at idle. The choke and idle screw have to be played with to keep motor running. Under medium to heavy throttle the motor sounds strong and tight, however as I said I am a new rider, so what do I know. The bike was stored in a garage over this past winter, and does not leak oil. The owner purchased new packaged fork seals that will go with the bike.

I am curious from you experienced riders and mechanics if these issues are minor, or do they hint to a more serious concern. I realize there will be maintenance needs with a 28 year old bike, but I do not want expensive engine repairs. This bike will serve as local transportation to build seat time and experience. I won't be doing any road trips until I'm experienced. Eventually I'll throw big money at a motorcycle but not right now. If a valvle adjustment is needed, how long can I ride around before the adjustment must be done. What symptoms will I experience? How common or routine are valve adjustments on inline 4 cylinder engines, and more importantly, how expensive is it? Could the idle problem be a result of top end engine problems or just simple adjustments and/or cleaning of the carbs? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the bike, and I think it's a good deal for the price. So, should I do it?

Thanks, and I hope to see you on the road!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online