Dealing with Rust

dugald
This post is 5450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I just got a YBR 125 and love it. It seemed huge when I first got it and every time I get on it it seems a little smaller :) The bike is only 3 years and 3000 miles old but it has quite a bit of rust on it. The rust is mostly on the frame, the exhaust mountings, the centre stand and the silver arms at the side with the rear pegs on them. What can I do to sort this? Should I grease up the patches or wire bush all of the rust bubbles and flakes and then paint it?

I don't have a garage. Is having the bike outside under a "water resistant" bike cover going to make it rust considerably more?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All,

I don't have a garage. Is having the bike outside under a "water resistant" bike cover going to make it rust considerably more?

Fraid so - it is the damp atmosphere that you don't tend to get in a garage that causes the rust. Keep the bike as clean as you can (ie wash it regularly), this keeps the salt and other nasties off it which tend to accelerate the oxidation process. Apart from that try to keep on top of it, I have used Kurust to deal with large areas of rust - it turns it blue (but don't get it on good paintwork - it doesn't come off easily!) then you can paint over it. I have found this keeps it at bay longer than just brushing or sanding off. Areas like exhausts etc that get hot you have to stay on top of as they tend to destroy coatings more quickly - I have used BBQ paint (about £6 in Wilkinson) - but you have to do it every year!

Other forum members may have other good ideas.

:D

Hi All,

I just got a YBR 125 and love it. It seemed huge when I first got it and every time I get on it it seems a little smaller :) The bike is only 3 years and 3000 miles old but it has quite a bit of rust on it. The rust is mostly on the frame, the exhaust mountings, the centre stand and the silver arms at the side with the rear pegs on them. What can I do to sort this? Should I grease up the patches or wire bush all of the rust bubbles and flakes and then paint it?

Looks like your bike has been somewhat neglected in its short life, I would go for the re-painting, rather than the greasing option, A waterproof cover would be of benefit it certainly wont make things worse, there will be air circulation in the cover and the water will be kept outside of it.... ;)

for brackets, fenders/mudguards and the like it may be worth stripping the bike down to a point where you can take the worst parts off and give them a good clean, i use an electric drill with a flapper wheel for large parts as this gets down to the bare metal, then a few coats of hammerite spray paint or BBQ paint if its a "hot" part

i use an electric drill with a flapper wheel

AYE Foamy" mind and use safty glasses wen using wire-wheels.

I Kno of a guy that got a wire spun into his eye , he went to the mirror pulled it out" the fluid ran out of the eye ------------hes a cyclops now :blink:

for brackets, fenders/mudguards and the like it may be worth stripping the bike down to a point where you can take the worst parts off and give them a good clean, i use an electric drill with a flapper wheel for large parts as this gets down to the bare metal, then a few coats of hammerite spray paint or BBQ paint if its a "hot" part

Yes I have noted a few parts that are removable and could be properly cleaned up and painted. The rest is on the frame so I will have to try to sort it in situe. I think the previous owner was a bit lazy - when I got the bike the chrome was looking pretty bad and the exhaust seemed to have something melted onto it at the front (a plastic cover perhaps). A few hours of srubbing at it and it looks a lot better.

The patches I am most unsure of are the ones on the exhaust. They are mostly around the joins and mounting brackets. The exhaust is chrome / stainless steel, so I'm not sure about painting it, and if I grease the patches the oil just burns away when it heats up. I will hunt for some silver BBQ pain and perhaps just apply it to the worst affected areas. I will also sort out a more protective cover.

Cheers for the advice.

IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TAKE THE BIKE TO PIECES AND HAVE THE FRAME,STAND,HANDLEBARS AND THE SWING ARM GRIT BLASTED AND POWDER COATED.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES THAT DO THIS JUST LOOK IN THE YELLOW PAGES UNDER BLAST CLEANING

ITS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE TO.

IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TAKE THE BIKE TO PIECES AND HAVE THE FRAME,STAND,HANDLEBARS AND THE SWING ARM GRIT BLASTED AND POWDER COATED.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES THAT DO THIS JUST LOOK IN THE YELLOW PAGES UNDER BLAST CLEANING

ITS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE TO.

if you go that route use a proper motorcycle powder coater like triple s or grifs reality works. they are really not that expensive and do know their stuff. I tried a local powder coater and it came out shit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online