TX 500 HELP

drama.drummer
This post is 5561 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased a 1974 yamaha tx500 and am having trouble starting it. It was sitting for a while in the previous owners garage ... when i went to purchase it it fired up on the 2nd try a-okay... but i seem to be having problems with it now, 2 days later. I am just curious what it could be. The electric start seems to be working, however its not turning over, and firing up the engine. Any words of advice?

thanx.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I recently purchased a 1974 yamaha tx500 and am having trouble starting it. It was sitting for a while in the previous owners garage ... when i went to purchase it it fired up on the 2nd try a-okay... but i seem to be having problems with it now, 2 days later. I am just curious what it could be. The electric start seems to be working, however its not turning over, and firing up the engine. Any words of advice?

thanx.

Hi

first off :welcome: to the forum

TX/XS500 not starting ... hmmmm can you expand on the starter working & not turning the engine over ? does the starter motor spin and the engine not ? or do you just get a 'click' when you press the start button ? if you just get the 'click' have you tried using the kick start in order to start the bike ? when we have this sorted we can work out where to look next

Regards Jim

Being that it had been sitting a while.... have you checked the battery? Try throwing it on a charger or check to see if there is any fluid in there. Sometimes it's the simplest things :) Good luck and here's hoping it's an easy fix!

Greetings and hallucinations!

I think that checking the spark plugs and points might also be in order (it won't hurt). My beast is occasionally difficult to start and hence I rely on the kickstart to preserve the battery and starter clutch.

Make sure fuel petcocks are open, choke is open, key is on, cutoff switch is not engaged, spark plug caps are properly attached, turn the idle adjustment screw all the way clockwise (this is on the right carb and is a knurled knob that is turned by hand), and START KICKIN'!

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Will the tx500 run without the battery hooked up?

I think that checking the spark plugs and points might also be in order (it won't hurt). My beast is occasionally difficult to start and hence I rely on the kickstart to preserve the battery and starter clutch.

Make sure fuel petcocks are open, choke is open, key is on, cutoff switch is not engaged, spark plug caps are properly attached, turn the idle adjustment screw all the way clockwise (this is on the right carb and is a knurled knob that is turned by hand), and START KICKIN'!

Good luck!

Good luck!

also check your not halucinating and sitting astride one of them boingy things, in an empty childrens play-park, with a dog-walker outside the fence-chatting to a police ocifer, and pointing in your direction, that could be embarassing/paranoidial/costly :mellow:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online