xs 650 wiring

bikemadbaz
This post is 5434 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, has anyone got a scimatic of the wiring for a xs650 I can download. please.

:welcome: to the forum

It would be good to know which year XS650 & from what part of the world it was orinally destined for as over the years there were changes & mods and for sure there are differences on bikes sent out to different continents

Regards Jim

points? elec ig? chop wiring or stock?

• 3 weeks later...

cant see any points and there is a black plastic thing on the outside of the roter. clik on link below. thanks.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/b...18052009152.jpg

Hmm Yes

as the photo is not close enough it is difficult to work out what it is .. the original points system would have been insitu of the camshaft. If that is an ignition pickup (as you have the bike to hand) has the Geni been modified in some way to pickup the info from the geni rather than the Cam ? But an XS/TX 500 would need a totally different curve (as it is run from a shaft geared from the crankshaft) due to its gearing .... also take into account the 500's geni (the place the black box is fitted to) runs in oil (crankcase) which would be some what be hostile to an electrical pickup so do you think it would work ?

Regards Jim

xs650.jpg

heres the EI 6 wire box

EI.jpg

heres the EI 7 wire box

EI7wire.jpg

If your not running elec start you can get purty basic off this . US bikes went to pointless in 80 though some later 79's had em. Im not sure of the 6 to 7 wire buzz boxs changed.

xs650.jpg

heres the EI 6 wire box

EI.jpg

heres the EI 7 wire box

EI7wire.jpg

If your not running elec start you can get purty basic off this . US bikes went to pointless in 80 though some later 79's had em. Im not sure of the 6 to 7 wire buzz boxs changed.

thanks for the wire diagrams. I am told it was a american bike, sorry to keep bugging you all. if you look at the pics, you will see there is nothing at the end of the cam? also tried to take a better pic of rotor. any idea where the red/wite wire on the starter selanoid goes? also where to connect the wires from the coil? can't find pickup or igniter unit? thanks, Barry.

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/b...04062009162.jpg

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/b...04062009159.jpg

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/b...04062009160.jpg

http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/b...04062009161.jpg

your wires will all be on the stator/rotor, the PIC Im posting of cam should look like that on non points model. The points would be there if it were a points model.

Your Ignitor box should be a black box I believe with 2 rectangular plug mounts. Ive only wired points models without elect start but I thing the striped solonoid wire goes to key switch.

ALso in the first pic I posted the green and brown wire that go to the rectangular box in pic (next to alternator), that is basically the brushs on the stator.

04062009159.jpg

TCI box, should look like this.

2008_0720list2ndapril0014.jpg

your wires will all be on the stator/rotor, the PIC Im posting of cam should look like that on non points model. The points would be there if it were a points model.

Your Ignitor box should be a black box I believe with 2 rectangular plug mounts. Ive only wired points models without elect start but I thing the striped solonoid wire goes to key switch.

ALso in the first pic I posted the green and brown wire that go to the rectangular box in pic (next to alternator), that is basically the brushs on the stator.

04062009159.jpg

Hi

Looking at the photo I would guess this to be a picture of the right side of the bike (when sat on it) Which on UK models housed the advance retard unit and the breaker plate was under the left cover. with this the case there is a chance that the total ignition system is different and I'm talking of a totalaly different ignition system .. sorry for my interjection

Regards Jim

Hi

Looking at the photo I would guess this to be a picture of the right side of the bike (when sat on it) Which on UK models housed the advance retard unit and the breaker plate was under the left cover. with this the case there is a chance that the total ignition system is different and I'm talking of a totalaly different ignition system .. sorry for my interjection

Regards Jim

there is no tci box on the bike anywhere. I have looked and cannot find one. there are no wires either? it has a kickstart. there is nothing under the other cover on the end of the cam l/hand side. thanks for all your input, any other help will be appreciated. barry

there is no tci box on the bike anywhere. I have looked and cannot find one. there are no wires either? it has a kickstart. there is nothing under the other cover on the end of the cam l/hand side. thanks for all your input, any other help will be appreciated. barry

Hi Barry,

if you have no CB points under the L/H cover & no advance/retard under the right cover I would guess the ignition system has been altered some what ... can you say what lives under the L/H cover and can you find a white wire and aslo an orange wire connected to the ignition system any where !

Regards Jim

I would imagine someone just didnt include the box, there pricy, nothing is missin in the cam ends. It identical to the motor 81 yr in my shop. You need to locate a box or swap back to point model stator rotor , youll need points and plates advance rod , gov plate, dif reg / rec. ect. just as pricey. Give me the block # and I can give you the year, They imported them 1 year longer in UK & europe then stateside.

81 engine

0711230004.jpg

0711230002.jpg

0711230001.jpg

Here is pics of a 76 , motor I did last yr.

right side

coverdone004.jpg

Stator/Rotor, (alternator)

0705230006.jpg

points on left side cam end

0709050006.jpg

DO you have reg/rec?

Also your welcome to the TCI box in the pic but its off a maxim which is 4 cyl I honestly done know if there swapable to the xs. I do know the size of the box is the same.

Maybe someone here knows or could check part #'s.

I would imagine someone just didnt include the box, there pricy, nothing is missin in the cam ends. It identical to the motor 81 yr in my shop. You need to locate a box or swap back to point model stator rotor , youll need points and plates advance rod , gov plate, dif reg / rec. ect. just as pricey. Give me the block # and I can give you the year, They imported them 1 year longer in UK & europe then stateside.

81 engine

0711230004.jpg

0711230002.jpg

0711230001.jpg

Here is pics of a 76 , motor I did last yr.

right side

coverdone004.jpg

yes i have a reg rec, it has six wires. I have been told to fit a boyer ignition kit to it? just bolts on ? I have also found out it is an american inport on a Y plate 1986. if this helps? also engin no is either JYA5V 400-5 OR DA104 229? THANKS. BARRY.

Stator/Rotor, (alternator)

0705230006.jpg

points on left side cam end

0709050006.jpg

DO you have reg/rec?

QUOTE "yes i have a reg rec, it has six wires. I have been told to fit a boyer ignition kit to it? just bolts on ? I have also found out it is an american inport on a Y plate 1986. if this helps? also engin no is either JYA5V 400-5 OR DA104 229? THANKS. BARRY"

its for sure 82 or newer, as for the boyer, I believe youll need advance rod and gov? Ive got no experience with boyer kits, im using this kit on mine, and youll need advance rod and gov for that. contact the guy on the link , im sure he could tell you , he's real helpfull and knows these IG systems backwards.

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

xsmodel.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online