My New FJ1200

woolley
This post is 5459 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I just bought a 1986 FJ1200 I payed 750.00 bucks for it. It runs ok I cleaned the carbs and need to get them syncronized it crackles and pops a bit. But my concern in 2nd gear. I have been reading a bit and I have heard a couple people say this is common. My question is what is the problem? Is it clutch or is it the gear? and should I fix it or get use to it. It will slip hard under acceleration but at low speed is ok.

thanks for any input

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Great choice of bike, the second gear problem was blown out of proportion it's basically that the bike will jump out of second gear with hard excelaration. If yours does not do it don't worry.

Clutch slip on an FJ is a common problem, it can be reduced by running a good 20/50 mineral oil. (Synthetic & Semi synthetic oils are too slippery for the FJ's wet clutch)

You can also buy another diafram spring and use two together (Heavy clutch action at the lever) or you can buy and install a barnett clutch conversion this is the best option in my opinion but the most expensive.

Adam.

Hi

Great choice of bike, the second gear problem was blown out of proportion it's basically that the bike will jump out of second gear with hard excelaration. If yours does not do it don't worry.

Clutch slip on an FJ is a common problem, it can be reduced by running a good 20/50 mineral oil. (Synthetic & Semi synthetic oils are too slippery for the FJ's wet clutch)

You can also buy another diafram spring and use two together (Heavy clutch action at the lever) or you can buy and install a barnett clutch conversion this is the best option in my opinion but the most expensive.

Adam.

Thanks Adam, my 2nd gear does slip under acceleration. The guy I bought it from gave me a clutch new clutch spring, I guess when he put in new clutch plates he used the old one but he never got around to putting the new one in. It is so hard to skip 2nd when accelerating but 3rd picks me up to 60 in a flash. you think I should just use the new spring or double the old and new?

If its slipping deffo chuck both in, you don't need to drop oil just put bike on side stand and remove clutch cover.

Adam.

If its slipping deffo chuck both in, you don't need to drop oil just put bike on side stand and remove clutch cover.

Adam.

Thanks again, I have the bike lifted both wheels are at the shop getting new rubber so I am going to clean it up and change oil any way. I am going to rebuild carbs also before I get them syncronized. I was also thinking of checking the valve clearances the valve gasket seems to be weeping a bit. Looks like a big project but I have it apart any way.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1986 FJ1200 had since 5,800 miles on it and this isn't a slip it's more like a skip, has been doing it since ive had the bike. Will only do it when I get on it in 2nd gear, if it was a clutch slipping it would do it in any gear you get down on the throttle. I now have 15,000 on the bike still only does it in 2nd gear. Never researched it but am going to, getting annoying now that ive been thinking about bringing it to the strip to race my buddies.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online