Stud gone wild!

gdarrell
This post is 5495 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Exhaust stud that is!

Ok, well maybe not what you thought :lol:

Thanks to all for the help getting my old XS400 S going!! Couldn't have done it without some really smart guys out there with good advice and trouble shooting tips.

My current puzzle is that one of the exhaust studs (inside stud on left cylinder) is gone. The threads are gone as well and it appears to have been either reamed out or wallowed out. That is, the hole is no longer round, no threads, and its larger than the stud signficantly. Been this way since I got it. It doesn't "leak" too bad, but I don't know if this will cause me to burn a valve or something over time (leak is noticeable, especially during cold start).

I have found a replacement stud from a hardware store that matches the thread pattern on the studs that are still there (these studs are no longer available from Yamaha). My question is how to fix it?

• Can you JB weld it in place?
  • Or, fill up the hole with JB weld and then try and tap threads into the patched hole (can that be done)?
  • Do I need to be able to remove the stud later or make this a one time "permanent" fix?

I am sure I am not the first to see this problem, so would appreciate any creative solutions (that is, ones that don't involve replacing or removing the head) :mellow:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if you have "standards" and want the best, you need to get it lumiwelded and re-drilled and tapped. won't cost the earth as lumi weld is a low temp solution.

drewps

Heli-coil it or you can drill it back to a round hole, tap some new threads in and get a stud that fits those new threads and is reduced to the reglaur stud size or drill the hole in the flange to fit.

Heli-coil it or you can drill it back to a round hole, tap some new threads in and get a stud that fits those new threads and is reduced to the reglaur stud size or drill the hole in the flange to fit.

thats' assuming there is enough meat in there to drill and tap!!! the larger studs may be too big for the exhaust clamp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online