Yamaha DT125R

This post is 4271 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have just bought a 2003 DT125R. Being 6ft5 I think the ride height is a bit low, I've noticed on either side of the back wheel there is a small cog with numbers on and I'm presuming that if I losen the bolt and ajust this it will change the angle of the arm and make it ride higher... Can anyone let me know that I am on the right lines with this??? cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I have just bought a 2003 DT125R. Being 6ft5 I think the ride height is a bit low, I've noticed on either side of the back wheel there is a small cog with numbers on and I'm presuming that if I losen the bolt and ajust this it will change the angle of the arm and make it ride higher... Can anyone let me know that I am on the right lines with this??? cheers

I think your looking at the chain tensioners =/ If this is the case then no, that just does what it says on the tin and allows you to release ro add tension to the chain, by chaingin the position of the rear axle. Either moving it forwards towards the engine ( creating slack) and backwards to increase the tension. I have heard that the ride height can be adjusted, but i presume it will be something to do with the rear shock, ive recently put together the suspension unit on a DT for the 1st time and as a newb, increasing the distance between the suspension linkage and where the shock attatches to the frame under the seat, is the only way to raise the seat height of the bike.

Have you looked in the haynes manual for advice? Im about 5ft 8 so if anything my issue is the complete opposite although its not that big a deal for me, unless of course the section of road i need to put my foot down, happens to be lower than the sections my wheels are on! I had that once when queing for ardingly and, i can confirm i needed a new pair of pants!

I think your looking at the chain tensioners =/ If this is the case then no, that just does what it says on the tin and allows you to release ro add tension to the chain, by chaingin the position of the rear axle. Either moving it forwards towards the engine ( creating slack) and backwards to increase the tension. I have heard that the ride height can be adjusted, but i presume it will be something to do with the rear shock, ive recently put together the suspension unit on a DT for the 1st time and as a newb, increasing the distance between the suspension linkage and where the shock attatches to the frame under the seat, is the only way to raise the seat height of the bike.

Have you looked in the haynes manual for advice? Im about 5ft 8 so if anything my issue is the complete opposite although its not that big a deal for me, unless of course the section of road i need to put my foot down, happens to be lower than the sections my wheels are on! I had that once when queing for ardingly and, i can confirm i needed a new pair of pants!

Thanks for the advice, I'm wating for my Haynes manual to be delivered so will have a look in there, might also have a look under the seat tonight.

hi there

i had the same problem as you, except my dt was too high :D

the only way to higher or lower the bike is to make some new suspension links.

If you look under your swingarm you will find these.

4.jpg

The ones im holding are the original yamaha ones, ones on my bike are the custom ones.

The longer they are the lower the rear end.

So, if you want to make it higher all you would have to do is make the suspension links shorter.

Oh and make sure you loosen your chain alot before you put them on ;)

hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi there

i had the same problem as you, except my dt was too high :D

the only way to higher or lower the bike is to make some new suspension links.

If you look under your swingarm you will find these.

4.jpg

The ones im holding are the original yamaha ones, ones on my bike are the custom ones.

The longer they are the lower the rear end.

So, if you want to make it higher all you would have to do is make the suspension links shorter.

Oh and make sure you loosen your chain alot before you put them on ;)

hope this helps.

Thanks, I am not sure if longer links are currently on my bike can you tell me what the length is of the standard one in your hand on the pic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ive got a dt125re 57 plate and i have just lowered my bike by 50mm. ( height at lowest point of seat) I made custom suspension links out of 3mm glavanised steel. The holes in the link are 21mm and i have drilled the centres of the holes 125mm apart. Its perfect for me now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online