Chain noise/scrape

barwell1992
This post is 5607 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi was riding my bike to day then the wind died down so was realy quiet then could hear this scrape noise so got home and took my helmet off and rode it up and down the drive and the chain is making quite a loud noise like a constant scrape this could just be the chain on the plastic but dident expect it to be that loud, the chain is a bit rusty so could it do with a new one ?? i thikn the owners befor left it out in the rain a cople of times so has some orange stuf on it lol

im going to france on it in a cople of weeks and need to know if it could need replacing or just need cleaning then re oilling

this is on my MT-03

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi was riding my bike to day then the wind died down so was realy quiet then could hear this scrape noise so got home and took my helmet off and rode it up and down the drive and the chain is making quite a loud noise like a constant scrape this could just be the chain on the plastic but dident expect it to be that loud, the chain is a bit rusty so could it do with a new one ?? i thikn the owners befor left it out in the rain a cople of times so has some orange stuf on it lol

im going to france on it in a cople of weeks and need to know if it could need replacing or just need cleaning then re oilling

this is on my MT-03

thanks

A rusty chain is a chain thats been badly neglected, i'm in the scottoiler camp myself and singles do hammer chains with their big power pulses.

I'm sure other people will have their views but if i was going to france i would stick a new one on. You will have enough worries without thinking about a duff chain.

A rusty chain is a chain thats been badly neglected, i'm in the scottoiler camp myself and singles do hammer chains with their big power pulses.

I'm sure other people will have their views but if i was going to france i would stick a new one on. You will have enough worries without thinking about a duff chain.

ok will look in to it, will i need a specific chain ?? or will any do ? or are there types

i tend to give my chain a coat of lube every other time i use it. If it hasnt been lubed for a while, it really needs cleaning with petrol and a toothbrush and then careful application of spray on lube. on a bike like an mt-03, you need to replace the chain if its got tight spots (as ^ says singles suffer from this) or if reached its limit of adjustment.

chains should not be overly noisy, maybe this is down to tight spots or a knackered sprocket carier bearing. I'd check the wheel hasnt been put back in less a spacer as i have seen this before and it can cause problems.

Chain lube, what would you peeps recommend ? :)

right well sat out side for a hour with degreaser and a wire brush(soft) and cleand the buger and its all shiny now just aplied a coating of castrol chain wax would have used proline race lube but that get evorywhere one thing is thogh the rear sproket can move side to side about 3-6mm its tigh on the hub but it seems the hub is moving on the axel is this normal it dosent do it on my dads XT but he has diforent rims with fixed sproket mounts

the sound has praticly gone now but im thinking to get a new chain any way the chain does feal smooth but not sure about the longjevity of it

really dont think your sprocket should be moving around bud, not unless its an innovation I've not heard about yet, if your serious about going to france I'd get that sorted, oh and I'd buy new chain and sprocket set, and put new brake pads on also, you dont want those Frenchies doing any work on your bike while your there, Chargo mucho, or is that Spain ?, :rolleyes:

haha funny you mention the breaks the are binding quite bad at the moment but the pads have tones of where on them (done 800 miles on that set) the bike has just gone over to 3332miles so not that manny

but yeh the sproket is firm just the bit that holds it isent the thing is it dosent move back and forth just side to side

im not bike mechanic and have only cleand carbs out so not touching it myself unles its like a push bike sproket (was/am push bike mechanic) then might have a look but to be honest it having a full inspection befor im off to france

ohh and the wheal is tight on the bike

Yep best gettin it checked over, sounds like theres a spacer missing, brakes sorted out, adventure imminent !, hope you taking plenty of pics of your trip to post on here, jeez o, wish I was your age again, :mellow:

yeh well my dads in charge of the camera so picks are iminents lol

and been my age im craping it in doing my Btech atm then find out wether i fail or not then have to think about jobs wish i was 3 years younger lol

and the bike's(MT+XT) are been booked in next week posibly for a whole new chain set on both new pads coolant oil filters (oil) and just a general service