shocking situation

little dave
This post is 5609 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For the last several months, I occasionally get a tingling sensation in my right ring fingertip when riding.

it's sort of like a static shock one gets after scuffing along on the carpet and touching the icebox.

the tingle is momentary, a few little tingles and its gone for a few miles. then it happens again.

my gloves are leather, unbroken. and i have tried another pair.

there is no way for wayward spark current to be jumping to my fingertip as im holding the rubber grips. besides, wayward spark current would hurt a bit more. either way, it dosent make sense, it wouldnt jump from my glove to my finger.... it would most likely find its way to my calf (which touches the kickstart)

the only thing i can think of is that I am somehow developing a static charge. either from my clothes rustleing and flapping in the wind or from...?

has anybody else had this happen? or am i just crazy?

it isnt exactly unpleasant, its just got me really curious.

is this a job for a static strap?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

More likely a medical thing, like Vibration White Finger, pins & needles etc.

Do you wear a ring on that finger?

Do you grip the bars tightly?

Do you have any kind of medical history or previous similar experiences?

For the last several months, I occasionally get a tingling sensation in my right ring fingertip when riding.

it's sort of like a static shock one gets after scuffing along on the carpet and touching the icebox.

the tingle is momentary, a few little tingles and its gone for a few miles. then it happens again.

there is no way for wayward spark current to be jumping to my fingertip as im holding the rubber grips. besides, wayward spark current would hurt a bit more. either way, it dosent make sense, it wouldnt jump from my glove to my finger.... it would most likely find its way to my calf (which touches the kickstart)

the only thing i can think of is that I am somehow developing a static charge. either from my clothes rustleing and flapping in the wind or from...?

Hi,

perhaps it a point of getting old ? I have noticed (as I have got older) that you do get tingles from little 2 strokes that vibrate more than other styles/types of bike.... I'm not saying ur old but I would take this into account ..... I can hear loads of older people saying 'it doesn't happen to me' but I do notice this point after riding the FS1 for 30~40 miles where as if I do the same & more on the 900 I get no problem.

Regards Jim

its not like pins and needles.

and its a very temporary thing.

lasts about 1/2 a second. then its gone for miles

im not ruleing out that im just getting old.

it just feels more like when you rub a piece of plexiglass with a wool rag.

That is one of the early indicators of carpul tunnel syndrome, your carpul tunnel compresses the nerves in your wrists causing funny pains and tingles.

Something that helped me before i had to get fixeda nd its useful even if you are clear of CTS, line up the controls on the bike. Its awquard to explain but when you are sat in your natural riding position your wrists should be in line with your fingers with them resting on the levers.

If your wrists are bent to any degree this will increace the pressure on the carpul tunnel and this in turn increaces the pressure on the nerves.

If its only the tinyest tingle odd times the above could well check it if indeed that is the problem but if it gets worse see your doctor cos in its early stages it can be sorted with steroid injections.

ive been getting something similar, so went to see the doc last week, he reckons its calculus in my neck caused by my bike crash in february. having landed on my head, my neck got jerked and he said my body was trying to heal the damage by depositing bone on the existing bone, this is causing my nerves to doing all kinds of weird shit, have you had any trauma to your neck, arms or shoulders in recent years? might be worth checking out.

another posibility is armour in a jacket putting pressure on nerves in your arms or mucking up blood flow.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online