Working on Registration for '74 DT125

DT125Steve
This post is 5605 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just picked up my first bike, a '74 DT125. Runs strong, looks great. Blah, blah...

I'm trying to register it as street legal here in California and have a few questions:

1) Do I need front AND rear blinkers (indicators)? (It has neither.)

2) It looks like the previous owner changed the handlebars so there's no spot for front blinkers...any suggestions as to how to fasten them on?

3) Is buying parts, say, oh-I-don't-know, blinkers, from one of those online "stores" in Thailand safe?

4) Okay, last one. My tail light works, but the second filament doesn't light up when I hit either brake. I changed the bulb to no avail. Any suggestions as to where to start first?

To anyone that helps--thank you very much. I know these are extremely boring and look-it-up-your-goddamn-self questions, but trust me, I have. With no luck. I've had this bike for almost a week now and I am dying to get it on the road (my neighbors are sick and tired of listening to me barrel up and down our street).

Thanks again.

Oh. Anyone got a spare luggage rack lying around? I need a place to put my Old Bag :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Steve,

For the blinkers I went for the smallest ones I could get and attached them to the bars with hose clamps. I tried cable ties but that didn't get a good enough earth. OK that's dodgy but I went for small so I had less chance of busting them and I'm not too fussed about the detail. Like you I just wanted to get out there. I'll keep looking for originals that hang off the bars but they don't seem to come up too often. I guess it depends on what's available near you and make it fit. The ones on my bike when I got it were attached to the ear things that hold the headlight on to the forks. They had to drill a big hole to fit them. From that, I'd just say don't drill any holes that detract from the originality of the the thing.

For the brake light, it must be earthed if the tail works so I'd be checking the fuse and battery and check and clean all the connectors of the wires between the battery, brake light, brake levers and brake light switches. If that doesn't work I'd get a multimeter and test the wires. If that doesn't work I'd probably have a beer and have a look at service manual for any other clues. Hopefully that helps.

Oh and I had fun riding up and down the drive too before registration. That was with the kids on and the wife rolling her eyes while she was watching out the kitchen window. Let the neighbours enjoy the experience I say

FrontBlinker2.jpg

FrontBlinker.jpg

RearBlinker2.jpg

RearBlinker.jpg

re: the taillight.

follow the wires from the taillight assy on out.

the rear brake pedal should have a spring actucated switch that would sit right behind your ankle.

follow the wire to it and make sure that its all plugged in. also the frott brake lever will have some sort of switch inside of it. follow that wire down and back to the lamp. make sure to test the wire in a few places with a cheap tester.

also, the headlamp assembly is usually a birds nest of wires and connections. one of those may have popped loose.

on my '74 dt175, the blinkers have that problem, the wire often pops loose as im changing a headlamp bulb. I get it all together, and THEN find out the blinker came unplugged.

as for blinkers, try looking for a junkyard.

are you concerned with keeping stock?

I have rear blinker units. made of plastic (black) with amber lenses.

they were on my bike when i got it. I have since replaced them. they mount to the metal loop thats part of the frame at the rear fender. if you want them pm me and we can work something out.

DTGordo and LittleDave--thanks for all the help! You guys took some time outta your day to help someone out and I appreciate that.

I purchased some OEM blinkers from this co in florida--nice chrome ones--but have since found out that although i thought i was buying a pair (of F and R), and was paying what seemed to be pair price, i actually bought one front and one rear. Great. So i just said screw it and picked up some cheap black ones for 40 that said they'd fit. They are the small ones up front (I, too, worry about wrecking).

As for the tailight. I'm following the wires and cannot find the problem but, truth be told, i'm not the sharpest. I have a new--begger, and hopefully better, service manual coming in the next few days so hopefully that'll assist me.

Okay, time to go back outside and bother the neighbors. Thanks again.

Steve

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online