Littles dave's beater dt

little dave
This post is 5611 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

this was the 1974 dt175a on the first day i got it.

firstday.jpg

the tank was rattle canned blue, but poorly.

the seat was an old leather jacket that was pinned to the seat metal. im waiting now on a neighbor ho does upholstery to call me

the tank leaked, so the paint bubbled off. anybody got a tank? ;)

the right side cover (air filter) was missing so i fiber glassed one myself.

the air filter was a chunk of foam rubber shoved into the carb. so i put on a racing one

headlight was not wired in to the headlight circuit (it was tied straight to the battery, via a switch) fixed all that. but still have a toggle switch to turn on the rest of the electrical system (no ign switch)

it had no cutoff switch. I found a honda key with switch in a junkyard. it only had 2 wires, it became my cutoff/anti theft switch)

thanks to blackhat for the rear turn indicators (chrome is much better than plastic)

oh, yeah, and the battery wouldnt charge on the bike. fixed that.

lastly, after driving all winter (over 3000 miles) i found that somebody before me had removed the banjo bolt and main jet. and replaced them with a regular bolt. and since the gas leaked out of the carb bowl around the threads, they jammed a .22 cal lead bullet into the main jet intake at the bottom of the carb bowl. I am now running without a main jet (but it runs quite well, i was up to 70mph the other day) I'm saving and looking for a new carb.

anyhow, I hated the metallic sparkly blue it was painted.

(matte black was much better looking to me)

here it is now after 6 months of help and 3700 miles.

profile.jpg

side.jpg

(Thats Las Vegas in the background. i took the shot right around the corner from my house)

I replaced the square mirrors with a more retro round. and yes that is an aftermarket chrome tip.

(it has a resonator inside and makes the engine sound a bit more bearable (read placebo effect) to my neighbor, who's first words were "oh great now i gotta listen to a fekking motorcycle!" and it keeps the soot off the license plate.))

I am not concerned with reviving its stock glory. waay too much work. the best i can hope for is to keep it running well.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

theres a difference to it being original, and being functional ;) its a very nice example of a DT and no doubt will give you years of faithfull service :)

My little DT has lots of aftermarket parts, most of them just to make it more comfortable/easy to ride.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online