YBR upgrades, help please!

mr-c
This post is 5411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, got a little bit of money lying about (Not enough for a new bike before anyone suggests it!) and am looking to upgrade the YBR a little. I was thinking of 2 new tyre's and a Xenon bulb upgrade (As i do often ride at night) and then ran out of ideas!

I have heard that pilot sport and city demon are both quite good, anyone rate one over the other? Got naff nylon ones on there at the mo so i think anything will be an improvement!

Also what else can be done to a YBR to spruce it up a little? Sure some of you biking veterans have more ideas than me.

Any input welcome!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got a halogen bulb for my YBR, makes a heck of a difference!! if i remember correctly - '395' is the normal bulb, '407' is the halogen version, with the same base - but i'm not 100% sure on that.. Should be not too hard to find, but u need to ensure that the watts (35/35) - i think they were - are the same.. (pm me if ud like to pop dow and take a look, im sure ive written it down somewhere B) )

As for tyres, michelin pilot sport - everybody swears by them - but personally i have got michelin m45's (mechanic said he couldnt get hold of the pilots).. the stock nylons are ABSOLUTE SH*TE!!!

To spruce it up - Ive got myself a nice little tank pad, ive removed the chrome luggage rack (looks a bit more sporty-ish), been tinkering around, and fitted some white led's - around the engine, under rear arch, and (soon - when i figure out where to mount em) around the front tyre.. Nothing much to really spruce up, what they all told me, save money, and get a bigger bike :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

I got a halogen bulb for my YBR, makes a heck of a difference!! if i remember correctly - '395' is the normal bulb, '407' is the halogen version, with the same base - but i'm not 100% sure on that.. Should be not too hard to find, but u need to ensure that the watts (35/35) - i think they were - are the same.. (pm me if ud like to pop dow and take a look, im sure ive written it down somewhere B) )

As for tyres, michelin pilot sport - everybody swears by them - but personally i have got michelin m45's (mechanic said he couldnt get hold of the pilots).. the stock nylons are ABSOLUTE SH*TE!!!

To spruce it up - Ive got myself a nice little tank pad, ive removed the chrome luggage rack (looks a bit more sporty-ish), been tinkering around, and fitted some white led's - around the engine, under rear arch, and (soon - when i figure out where to mount em) around the front tyre.. Nothing much to really spruce up, what they all told me, save money, and get a bigger bike :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice uzi, not really a LED kinda guy so il stick with just the wheel and bulb upgrades first, where did you get the bulb from? was it an ebay job, as they all seem to be hong kong sellers and im not sure if cheap bulbs are the way to go! Will set about trying to find a good price on these tyre too, unless anyone knows where to point me already? lol

Those two bits only use up half my budget, though i would spend a bit on this bike and get some enjoyment out of it as im gunna keep it for a year now to build up my no claims on something small. Still open to any other ideas for good mods!

Cheers

DT 125 engine maybe??

not sure how mechanically minded you are but would make a vast improvment

DT 125 engine maybe??

no lol.

DT 125 engine maybe??

How ? those 2 motors are so different ..... tell us how to do it

Regards Jim

it pays to do research, cause i found out that a fireblade engine will fit into my frame on my 600 hornet....

might be doing it next year if i still have the hornet ...

but ofc doing it would mean near death

best thing u can do on your ybr is learn to live with its power output, i always moaned cause my ybr wasnt fast, but everytime i went on it i loved.

remeber when you start playing about with your engine, its more likely to let you down

thorght the hornet 600 had the 600 blade engin allready?? or is that only the 900

and i would look at a better exhaust and maybe a K&N filter and a carb rejet just to make it a wee bit faster

barel i done that all, but i presume you are talking to the ybr dude

the hornet mas a cbr600rr engine in it, with better mid and low range.

yea, the cbr900 fireblade engine is the one i might be putting in it.

or just buy a r6 ..mm

Thread hijacking at its best! :D

Just ordered 2 pilot sporty's for £115 including fitting at my local shop, didnt think that was too bad.

I am saving for a bigger bike but need to keep this for a year to start the no claims, just looking to spend a little money on it to make it a pleasurable ride, i know its never going to be fast but there are always improvements to be made!

Any more ideas welcome,

it pays to do research, cause i found out that a fireblade engine will fit into my frame on my 600 hornet....

might be doing it next year if i still have the hornet ...

but ofc doing it would mean near death

best thing u can do on your ybr is learn to live with its power output, i always moaned cause my ybr wasnt fast, but everytime i went on it i loved.

remeber when you start playing about with your engine, its more likely to let you down

Hi Shokz

how can you replace a single four stroke air cooled engine with a 2 stroke watercooled motor ? The logistics of mounting the Rad & 2 two stroke oil tank would require some serious adjustment .. I would guess there is a chance that a like engine (4 stroke or 2 stroke dependant) could be put into the said frame. Then with the YBR->DT exchange the ignition circut (cdi box etc) would cause problems as the ignition curve for both engines would be totally different.

Regards Jim

Hi Shokz

how can you replace a single four stroke air cooled engine with a 2 stroke watercooled motor ? The logistics of mounting the Rad & 2 two stroke oil tank would require some serious adjustment .. I would guess there is a chance that a like engine (4 stroke or 2 stroke dependant) could be put into the said frame. Then with the YBR->DT exchange the ignition circut (cdi box etc) would cause problems as the ignition curve for both engines would be totally different.

Regards Jim

it wasent shokz that sead it take another look at the post

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice uzi, not really a LED kinda guy so il stick with just the wheel and bulb upgrades first, where did you get the bulb from? was it an ebay job, as they all seem to be hong kong sellers and im not sure if cheap bulbs are the way to go! Will set about trying to find a good price on these tyre too, unless anyone knows where to point me already? lol

Those two bits only use up half my budget, though i would spend a bit on this bike and get some enjoyment out of it as im gunna keep it for a year now to build up my no claims on something small. Still open to any other ideas for good mods!

Cheers

really sorry for the very late reply.. had exams and all (finished today :D :D :D)

the bulb was a h*lfords jobbie, wasnt bad at around a fiver-ish.. clicky

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online