XS 400 Compression

bswinn
This post is 5492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys/gals. I've done some searching both here and elsewhere online but have yet to find a definitive answer to my problem. I've recently purchased a 1977 XS 400D (Was sold as a '79 but did a little research on the VIN) and am cleaning it up and trying to restore it on a bit of a shoestring budget. I've mostly gone though every major part, disassembled it, cleaned it up, lubed it, etc. etc. MAN OH MAN are there a lot of parts. Anyways....

Recently have started in on the engine. Figured my first order of buisness before tearing it apart was to run a compression test. This is where things have been a bit screwy. The bike is torn apart so I have no way of cranking the engine over with the ignition system or anything. I suppose I could try kickstarting it, but holding onto the engine while doing this would prove a bit difficult. My compression guage is only going up to 32-35 PSI on each cylinder. That seemed REALLY low considering the compression ratio is supposed to be on order of 9.2:1.

My question/concern is if this is normal because i'm only turning engine with a socket wrench? Should I try a wet test and see if the numbers are the same? Or do I just have a REALLY bad engine? Would seem odd that things would be that worn out considering the engine is 32 years old and only has 16k miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is the 1200th time this question has been asked.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The carbs are completely off of the engine. But from the first reply it seems that I'm gonna need to have the engine capable of being turned over in order to properly guage the compression.

if your breaking down the engine, all you to do is measure bore wear and lap valves etc as a matter of course.

If the bike has been off the road a while, the rings may have gummed up a bit skewing the readings

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online