Which 1982 Yamaha 400 do I have?

Buster1903
This post is 5604 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and new to riding very new. Just got my permit yesterday and my first bike a week before that. I'm trying to do this right and find a manual to help me with the bike. But first I need to know exactly what bike I have.

It is a 1982 Yamaha, labeled a “Maxim 400", model id #: 12R , full serial # 12R-009722

I took this info to my local motorcycle shop and they told me I had a “SX400J” but they also said it was a SOHC engine??? This one sure looks like a DOHC to me. This is really where a picture is worth a thousand words.

OK how do I post a pic? I found the button "insert image" but I don't have a url to post the image? :huh:

Well, if this is enough info for someone to help me with bike it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. I did find YamaGod’s link to a manual for a bike that looks very close to mine but it’s an model id: “12E” is that close enough?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

firstly :welcome: to the forum

the 12r and 12e for your purposes, will be the same

for posting pikkies, get a photobucket account, upload picture to that site and just insert the tags directly in your text box in the forum. this will link to the photobucket picture. you can always preview to check before posting to make sure its ok!

i bit of info from xs400.de (google translated)

Engine and frame No starting from 12R -000101 are the DOHC engines, your model should be for 1982 the XS400J.

As drewpy says

"""the 12r and 12e for your purposes, will be the same"""

The engine specs are the same as the XS400RJ (12E) but the carbs are differant ( Mikuni BS43/12R-00 on the J and BS34/16m-00 on the RJ) as are the main jets ( LH jet 125 RH jet 115 on the J and LH 127 RH 117.5 on the RJ )and also the rear sprokets (35 tooth on the J and 38 on the RJ)

XS400.jpg

XS400RJ with DOHC engine.

Thanks drewpy and steve m. Here are some pics thanks to drewpy anf photobucket;

100_1209.jpg100_1211.jpg100_1212.jpg100_1208.jpg

This may call fro a new topic?

My next job is to change the oil and clean out the carbs. Oil change no problem I think, but carb cleaning I have NEVER done before.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and not afraid to do the work, I just know that turning the wrong screw can really mess up the settings

The instructions I have gotten from others are: remove throttle, choke cables and fuel lines; take off the one set of boots from one side and loosen the other and carbs should come out; Do NOT take them apart leave the two carbs together; take off the bottom covers and clean out covers and bottom end of carbs; then do the same for the top.

Does anyone have more advice for me??

steve m- There are a bunch of manuals under the post “xs400 links” do you know if any are the correct manual for my carbs? I don’t know the differences between “BS43/12R-00 on the J and BS34/16m-00 on the RJ” or how to tell which manual goes with which.

If not, does anyone have the right manual??

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and I hope to pass on all I learn to others

Thanks for all your help

strip each carb out separatley as sometimes the jets are different for each side.

make sure you take out the main jet as these have tiny holes in them, dont poke (that's what women are for) use carb cleaner and air. if you have an ultrasonic bath, that is better!!

Thanks everyone, bike is running great now. Of corse I did find the real problem after all was just the vacuum line to the fuel tank valve, but now I have clean carbs too.

Next problem: where to find body parts for 82 sx400j, side covers, I broke the left one trying to get the carbs out (yes, I’m a dumb ass) and the right was missing when I bought the bike. I have tried e-bay but no luck yet.

What other years will fit mine if any?

And does anyone have the part numbers for these side covers?

Thanks everyone, bike is running great now. Of corse I did find the real problem after all was just the vacuum line to the fuel tank valve, but now I have clean carbs too.

Next problem: where to find body parts for 82 sx400j, side covers, I broke the left one trying to get the carbs out (yes, I’m a dumb ass) and the right was missing when I bought the bike. I have tried e-bay but no luck yet.

What other years will fit mine if any?

And does anyone have the part numbers for these side covers?

try motogrid for parts numbers,

the panels are hard to get as I remember another thread a few years ago with a similar request, might be best to try speed sport or www.ebay.de

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online