2 swingarms to chose from both with issues

Cynic
This post is 5612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Maybe run round the show circuit, a lot of the steam rally's let you camp for free when you exhibit and there is cheap beer etc.

Just HOW old is the 'nail' :o

looks like an '81 to me

Regards Jim

:offtopic:

so Jim...you didnt like my little joke then tumbleweed.giftumbleweed.gif

:P

:offtopic:

so Jim...you didnt like my little joke then tumbleweed.giftumbleweed.gif

:P

ah not up to speed been out driving dust carts from 5 am !! I'll catch up in a bit

Regards Jim

im not sure the DT would be able to make it all the way to welland, getting to swindon (30 miles) is a trek and even then i have to stick at 40mph or below and pull over for a few minutes to give the bike a rest,

would be interesting though :P

im not sure the DT would be able to make it all the way to welland, getting to swindon (30 miles) is a trek and even then i have to stick at 40mph or below and pull over for a few minutes to give the bike a rest,

would be interesting though :P

Hi Foamy,

thats just the tip of the iceberg you may have 70 miles to go ... but back in the middle 70's I rode each week from Worcester to London 5 hour trip but the FS1e did it week in week out ... on 75p !!! <G> The whole year of collage and the FS1 didnt break down once .... tbh I did live the FS1 in Worcester one week and took a brand new TY50 and it took 8 hours but you young lads should be able to manage a long trip.

Regards Jim

Just HOW old is the 'nail' :o

Only needs to be 15 years old to qualify as an exhibit or 25 to be officially a clasic , :lol:

looks like an '81 to me

Regards Jim

Well, er, you would think so but the oil tank is on the right it was registerd March 1981, but a lot of the parts dont really tally like the loom has 6 wires for the cdi but the bike uses the 7wire.

Only needs to be 15 years old to qualify as an exhibit or 25 to be officially a clasic , :lol:

Well, er, you would think so but the oil tank is on the right it was registerd March 1981, but a lot of the parts dont really tally like the loom has 6 wires for the cdi but the bike uses the 7wire.

Hi Cynic,

so it is an '81 the extra wire follows down to the side stand switch .. in the day most owners asked us to cut them in order to save red faces after droping the bike into gear and it stopping thro the side stand !

Regards Jim

Hi Cynic,

so it is an '81 the extra wire follows down to the side stand switch .. in the day most owners asked us to cut them in order to save red faces after droping the bike into gear and it stopping thro the side stand !

Regards Jim

Hi Jim, when did they start fitting a side stand switch to these bikes then?

Hi Cynic,

Regards Jim

No seriously jim there are 2 ig systems for these bikes, well 3 if you include points onsome rare cases. Mine has 2 coils one for low speed ig (under approx 2700rpm) and one for high rpm. The red wire is the high rpm circuit. Others have a single coil that covers the entire throttle range.

A side stand sw on a 175 is a new one on me tbh

Hi Jim, when did they start fitting a side stand switch to these bikes then?

In the early/middle 80's to enable the bike to satisfiy the CU regs perhaps 81 jumps the gun a bit

Regards Jim

No seriously jim there are 2 ig systems for these bikes, well 3 if you include points onsome rare cases. Mine has 2 coils one for low speed ig (under approx 2700rpm) and one for high rpm. The red wire is the high rpm circuit. Others have a single coil that covers the entire throttle range.

A side stand sw on a 175 is a new one on me tbh

Hi Cynic

you should have white/red trace,green/red tace/black/yellow 7 yellow/black (for a CDi bike) the older bike had a manual advance retard bult into the mag but from what I can remember where totally centrifugal so can you give me the wire colours from the mag so I can work out where these wires go/work, as I cannot remember the 2 different formats, unless there was a mod at some point to perhaps get over the non charging battery with the lights on hence the 'fly' lead.

Regards Jim

Hi Cynic

you should have white/red trace,green/red tace/black/yellow 7 yellow/black (for a CDi bike) the older bike had a manual advance retard bult into the mag but from what I can remember where totally centrifugal so can you give me the wire colours from the mag so I can work out where these wires go/work, as I cannot remember the 2 different formats, unless there was a mod at some point to perhaps get over the non charging battery with the lights on hence the 'fly' lead.

Regards Jim

No there are 2 systems,

the 2K4(78-79) and 2X2(79only) Dt 175mx had the following:

Brown, red, white/red,black They come direct from the mag.

orange, black/white, black, come out of the loom.

The 4J4 (80-85) Dt175mx and the Dt125mx (4J3) of the same period had the following:

Brown, white/red, black. They are direct from the mag.

Orange, black/white, black, coming from the loom.

All of these bikes have the orange feeding the coil, the black and white kills the engine via the handlebar stop switch and the black is the battery return/negative.

On both bikes there is also green/white, light blue and yellow.

The yellow being the lighting feed to the ig switch, the light blue the neutral light earth and the green and white which turns to white in the loom?? charges the battery via the rectifier.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online