2 swingarms to chose from both with issues

Cynic
This post is 5612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok the original sw arm on my DT had to be cut out of the chassis cos the spindle had siezed solid within the bush and its still solid.

I have a second arm but that for some reason is narrower by 1/8 of an inch (exactly thats why i used old money) where the spindle fits but its a gradual increace from the bracings and there are no signs whatsoever of damage. But that 1/8th of an inch makes getting the wheel assy in and out a complete ba5t4rd.

My gut says its manufacturing issues with the spare arm rather than any real fult. Y'know a Friday special.

So do i fanny about with my old arm, or 'adjust' the spare?

I still cant believe the bush spacer/sleeve and spindle are so tight on my original when its only held in by plastic bushes.........

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cant you drift the seized pivot out? its only in plastic bushes anyhow so either pivot or bush should move. support the arm bosses on a strong vise with the jaws just open enough to clear the piovot.

I'll give that a go this afternoon but it does seem exceptionally tight.

I'll give that a go this afternoon but it does seem exceptionally tight.

Aheavy hammer, a good strong drift and someone to hold the thing. The key is to support it on the heavy vise, I would be very surprised if you dont win the battle.

Ok the original sw arm on my DT had to be cut out of the chassis cos the spindle had siezed solid within the bush and its still solid.

I have a second arm but that for some reason is narrower by 1/8 of an inch (exactly thats why i used old money) where the spindle fits but its a gradual increace from the bracings and there are no signs whatsoever of damage. But that 1/8th of an inch makes getting the wheel assy in and out a complete ba5t4rd.

My gut says its manufacturing issues with the spare arm rather than any real fult. Y'know a Friday special.

So do i fanny about with my old arm, or 'adjust' the spare?

I still cant believe the bush spacer/sleeve and spindle are so tight on my original when its only held in by plastic bushes.........

Hi Cynic,

in the past I had loads of swing arm spindles on DT seize up, not un common I'm afraid. I would guess the arms are from to different years as I had that problem (wheel not fitting) too and is not a friday one, just to be used with different components.

Regarding the spindle removal ; have you cut thro the spindle in order to remove the arm from the bike or is it still in one peice ?

dependant on which way you have gone will make a difference on which way to go forward & to de honest I would forget the spare arm

Regards Jim

Hi Cynic,

in the past I had loads of swing arm spindles on DT seize up, not un common I'm afraid. I would guess the arms are from to different years as I had that problem (wheel not fitting) too and is not a friday one, just to be used with different components.

Regarding the spindle removal ; have you cut thro the spindle in order to remove the arm from the bike or is it still in one peice ?

dependant on which way you have gone will make a difference on which way to go forward & to de honest I would forget the spare arm

Regards Jim

I cut through the spindle to get it out of the frame, TBH i didn't worry much about the spindle i wanted to make sure i did not cause any damage to the frame, the spindle and to an extent the sw arm could go hang.

As it is apart from the end of the bushes and the bush covers on the end of the swing arm nothing was harmed in cutting the spindle but i now have an arm with the spindle and bush remains flush with the sides.

Hi Cynic,

Regards Jim

I'am a twat !! I didn't read the post correctly ! (part & parcel of getting old I guess)

So to remove the bits of the spindle

get hold of the following :-

Freeing agent

blow torch

pad type hacksaw

big hammer

a supply of drifts

Good quality stillsons

a tubular support (to put over the swing arm where the spindle fits thro the bush)

Then run the freeing agent between the remains of the spindle & bush

(this make take frequent applications over a day or so)

locate the tublular support over the Swing arm (were the remains of the spindle is) and on the floor at the other end. beat the poo out of the remains of the spindle from the other side. If you get movement and mangage to get enuff spindle showing to get the stillsons on it stop.

Soak the bush/splindle area in freeing agent and leave for a while.

secure the S/A in a vice and attach the stillson to the exposed spindle and work clockwise & counterclock wise, adding more lube/freeing agent at regular intervals. If you manage to get the spindle turning quite freely it should now just knock out.

This is method #1 others to follow

Regards Jim

I'am a twat !! I didn't read the post correctly ! (part & parcel of getting old I guess)

So to remove the bits of the spindle

get hold of the following :-

Freeing agent

blow torch

pad type hacksaw

big hammer

a supply of drifts

Good quality stillsons

a tubular support (to put over the swing arm where the spindle fits thro the bush)

Then run the freeing agent between the remains of the spindle & bush

(this make take frequent applications over a day or so)

locate the tublular support over the Swing arm (were the remains of the spindle is) and on the floor at the other end. beat the poo out of the remains of the spindle from the other side. If you get movement and mangage to get enuff spindle showing to get the stillsons on it stop.

Soak the bush/splindle area in freeing agent and leave for a while.

secure the S/A in a vice and attach the stillson to the exposed spindle and work clockwise & counterclock wise, adding more lube/freeing agent at regular intervals. If you manage to get the spindle turning quite freely it should now just knock out.

This is method #1 others to follow

Regards Jim

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm spotting some similarities here with you two, seems BFH and lots of penetrating oil is the long and the short of it.......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm spotting some similarities here with you two, seems BFH and lots of penetrating oil is the long and the short of it.......

Thats the long & short of it the heat & pad saw are the last resort

Regards Jim

Thats the long & short of it the heat & pad saw are the last resort

Regards Jim

Heat is most definately a last resort yes, the bushes are plastic and if they melt will fuse to the swing arm when everything cools down, then you will have to ream out the bore or something to remove the melted bush.

Heat is most definately a last resort yes, the bushes are plastic and if they melt will fuse to the swing arm when everything cools down, then you will have to ream out the bore or something to remove the melted bush.

Hi Paul,

thats where the pad saw comes in

Regards Jim

Yes success.......

BFH penetrating oil and my head. It apears i was being a twat also, i was trying to get the SPINDLE out, tit.

Its fukct anyway, once i cleared that milestone i got it in the vice, 2lb hammer and a long steel drift.

Isn't violence refreshing in its proper place i felt great after i'd beaten the crap out of it, literally in this case.

Many thanks people, i was lacking in focus there.

Yes success.......

BFH penetrating oil and my head. It apears i was being a twat also, i was trying to get the SPINDLE out, tit.

Its fukct anyway, once i cleared that milestone i got it in the vice, 2lb hammer and a long steel drift.

Isn't violence refreshing in its proper place i felt great after i'd beaten the crap out of it, literally in this case.

Many thanks people, i was lacking in focus there.

Hi Cynic,

its quite supprising what you can do with a two lb hammer & a drift, I guess you also managed to get the bushes/plastic top hats out ok ?

Regards Jim

Hi Cynic,

its quite supprising what you can do with a two lb hammer & a drift, I guess you also managed to get the bushes/plastic top hats out ok ?

Regards Jim

Yes they just fell to bits once the sleeve was out, now i have a big pile of bits to clean up.

Yes they just fell to bits once the sleeve was out, now i have a big pile of bits to clean up.

Hi Cynic,

add to yearly service list :- remove s/a spindle & copper slip it :D:rolleyes::mellow:<_<

Regards Jim

Hi Cynic,

add to yearly service list :- remove s/a spindle & copper slip it :D:rolleyes::mellow:<_<

Regards Jim

Much as it pains me to admit it the old nail has not had the love and hugs that the 600 gets. Over the winter the 600 gets its steering head bearings and the complete rear sus linkage stripped and greaced oil changed etc, as well as a thourough under the skin clean.

The nail takes up the transport duties when the salt comes out and the roads get nasty. Then in the summer it gets a bit of tlc but nowhere near what she deserves and i think this is payback. Although it proves just how strong these little bikes are.

Now she is stripped right out i can fix my own bodges and give her back a bit of pizazz, and not use her in the shit and salt. Maybe run round the show circuit, a lot of the steam rally's let you camp for free when you exhibit and there is cheap beer etc.

Much as it pains me to admit it the old nail has not had the love and hugs that the 600 gets. Over the winter the 600 gets its steering head bearings and the complete rear sus linkage stripped and greaced oil changed etc, as well as a thourough under the skin clean.

The nail takes up the transport duties when the salt comes out and the roads get nasty. Then in the summer it gets a bit of tlc but nowhere near what she deserves and i think this is payback. Although it proves just how strong these little bikes are.

Now she is stripped right out i can fix my own bodges and give her back a bit of pizazz, and not use her in the shit and salt. Maybe run round the show circuit, a lot of the steam rally's let you camp for free when you exhibit and there is cheap beer etc.

Try Welland Steam rally,

your quite welcome to stay here ! and we do have loads of cheap beer ! have a look here

Regards Jim

if you can get into dorset steam rally at the end of the year (september) its a good crack down there, wobble out of the beer tent at midnight and get on the reverse bungee ball

if you can get into dorset steam rally at the end of the year (september) its a good crack down there, wobble out of the beer tent at midnight and get on the reverse bungee ball

Hi Foamy,

I would guess Welland is closer than Dorset .... but with the time scale both could be done ... infact I would guess Welland is in DT50 'punching' distance (about 1 tank of fuel for the return trip)so you could turn up too !!! :D

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online