Access to Breaker Points

G_Man
This post is 5473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, this is probably a dumb question. I have a 1980 XS400 Special. I'm trying to get in to where the points are. The cover has one Phillips head screw holding it tight at the front. I can get that out, but at the rear there doesn't appear to be another screw. I have no idea what's securing the rear end of the cover. Who can tell me how to get the &%$! cover off?

Ok looking I found this diagram:

0002.Gif

It shows some kind of plug over the second screw. (#22) How do you get the plug out?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

From memory the points are under the cover item # 21 which is just held on by the two screws # 23 and #24. I can't recall the screws having any cover over them once the screws are out the cover should just pull off.Tony.

From memory the points are under the cover item # 21 which is just held on by the two screws # 23 and #24. I can't recall the screws having any cover over them once the screws are out the cover should just pull off.Tony.

Exactly correct, at least on a '78 XS400E. Bubba might have wrung the head off the back screw. You might have JUST enough remnant of the head to hold it in place, and need an Easy Out to extract the shank from the head.

no points there, you have electronic ignition.

screw in a self tapper and pull. the plug should come out!

drewps

And there is a thin gasket between the cover and the body, to keep moisture out. If the cover hasn't been taken off in a while, that could be holding it on like glue - a light whack ought to free it up if that's the case.

The 80 model not only doesn't have points, there is no gasket either as water is not a problem for the electronic ignition assembly. Unless your pulling the head or the valve cover, there is no reason to pull that cover, as a matter of fact, unless modified it's not even supposed to be adjustable.

That said mine was modified when the valve cover had to be pulled before I bought it (from the original owner) and I have had the valve cover off once myself to replace the seal behind the ignition unit because it was leaking really badly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online