XVS650 mod advice

MadMaxx123
This post is 5511 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right...

I have my Spokes on order, they should be here this week....(wheel collapsed on me at 70 a couple of weeks ago)

Over the weekend I built a new exhaust...

The original 650 exhaust was starting to fall apart... I had lost the heat shield/chrome cover from the front header and the rear upper can had come separated from the pipe.....looked a mess, sounded good though...

So got a set of second had pipes from evilbay... they were for an 1100 so did not fit...until.....

The cans were Highway Hawks slash cut pipes and in almost new condition the pipes going forward were stock.

With a bit of cutting, grinding and braising I now have stock pipes with 1100 cans that look like they were factory produced (to ay I am please is an understatement). I will post a pic when I get chance to take on....

And LOUD is not the word for them without the baffles...!!!! :D

What I want to do now is add a hypercharger and needle kit or something along those lines...

I don't want to keep the standard filter housing and have already looked at ideas for modding that. What I want to be able to do is go back to the standard housing if I change my mind or have a problem....

I don't have a fortune (hence the DIY Exhaust) so has anyone got any good ideas of what I can do/where I can go..?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There's a hypercharger made by......errr..... shit, what's the name........ K-something.... Kuryakin?

Everyone seems to have those, especially on 1100 Drags.

There's bound to be schematics or a 'How It Works' page somewhere.

Maybe copy that and build your own?

How come you're alive after the back wheel went at 70, then??!!

Usually, when one spoke goes, the whole thing blasts apart!!

I may well look into a hand built intake, it's having the time and and stock to machine it from....We'll see.

Do like the look of the hyperchargers...just don't like the price....

When it comes to the being alive bit...I'm not totally sure.. the back-end started to go sloppy, spokes pinging left and right... It was early in the morning, nothing on the road.. I hit the brakes (after seeing what had happened that may not have been the most sensible thing to do..) and as I got to about 10-15MPH the thing sat its arse on the asphalt....

It was a nice straight piece of road, if I had had to corner I think things would not have turned out so well for me....

• 2 weeks later...

Had that happen to me too i found a secondhand rear wheel on evilbay did the job will be making sure they are tight this time :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the road at last!!!!

Has taken weeks and weeks...!

First, found out that there are 3 types of spoke on the XVS650 rear wheel and not 2 as it looked..! so had to wait another week for the extras to be made.

Hat off to Central Wheel though..

I gave them a call and explained that I had screwed up and they still made me 10 of the extra spoke for free!!!!

How can you possible not be impressed??!?

Anyway, by the time they arrived my mechanic had decided to put himself in hospital after hitting a left hand bend far too fast and ploughing himself into the side of a Transit Van that was comming the other way...!!!

He's ok, just a couple of broken ribs and alot of stick from eveyone (muppet)!!!

So after waiting for him to rip himself away from the clutches of all the young nurses he has finally put my wheel back together....! Hurahh!

So yes, back on the road on a bike that now thinks its a Harley......FAR TOO LOUD!!!!!

Ordered a couple of DB Killers today, hoping they may help......anyone had experiance of them..?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online