6v system 12v globe(s) - what happens?

DTGordo
This post is 5617 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all.

When fitting new indicators, I checked the bulbs in the old ones and found one was 12v instead of 6v like it should be. They were working fine so how does that all work?

DTGordo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all.

When fitting new indicators, I checked the bulbs in the old ones and found one was 12v instead of 6v like it should be. They were working fine so how does that all work?

DTGordo

if they were flashing too quick then by fitting a higher voltage/ampage buld it will slow down the flash.

hope this helps ;)

My question is what happens if you put 12v globes in the 6v system? Does it work ok? It didn't seemed to make any difference with the indicators that I had.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there.

At a guess, I would say the 6v ones will glow brighter because they have a lower resistance value than the 12v ones.

:yeahthat:

I have run a 12v tail light in a 6v system. its just a bit dimmer.

:yeahthat:

I have run a 12v tail light in a 6v system. its just a bit dimmer.

Yep ta,

I changed to a really small tail light and couldn't get the 6v globe to fit so I just left the smaller 12v in and it works fine as you say.

Now I'm starting to wonder if this is a way to avoid the lights blowing cause the bike doesn't have a voltage regulator and is a common problem?

Now I'm starting to wonder if this is a way to avoid the lights blowing cause the bike doesn't have a voltage regulator and is a common problem?

it helps keep the bulb from blowing when the battery unexpectedly fries and your voltage spikes.

but only if you dont get on it too hard, and limp it to a battery shop.

when my volts spike its at 30+volts at 6k rpm

the headlight goes first, and the tail follows quickly if i dont run slow.

there is only one shop/store that sells 6v bulbs in my area, and they arent always convenient or open.

so I often run a 12v tail because they are easy to find in a pinch.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online