Engine Stalling

growls
This post is 5616 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Im having a problem with my XVS Dragstar Custom 400cc.

The engine is running fine but when you put the bike into gear and release the clutch the bike remains stationary and the engine stalls .

I have been told its either a problem with the transmission or shaft ie something has seized. - I really hope not as this is beyond my ability. :o

Or the side stand safety has gone wonky. Could anybody tell me where to find this and how to test it?

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The engine is running fine but when you put the bike into gear and release the clutch the bike remains stationary and the engine stalls .

I have been told its either a problem with the transmission or shaft ie something has seized. - I really hope not as this is beyond my ability. :o

Or the side stand safety has gone wonky. Could anybody tell me where to find this and how to test it?

Cheers.

well if its the side stand switch then as soon as its put in to gear is stalls but if it runs for a bit then stall its somthing else and it sounds like the gear box has gone

have you tried kicking it up to 5th so see if the problem remains if so i think you will have to have the gear box striped

Cheers.

Hi,

I guess you have ridden bikes for a while and are not suffering with learner problems.

The side stand switch has to be working ok as the bike would stop with the stand down as soon as the bike is put into gear. The other switch can be tested by placing the bike in gear, the clutch pulled in & the side stand up then press the starter .... if it works the switches are intact. If that is ok there are 2 options :-

1) Your stalling the bike thro releasing the clutch to quickly

2) the clutch is not fully disengaging/engaging and you are able to engage the gear (more thro luck than any other reason) and when you try to to disengage it the bike stalls ... but in real terms you would tend to give the bike more throttle at this point and then realize that the clutch is slipping.

without more info it is difficult to work out 'whats up'

Regards Jim

To be honest I had been working on another bike over the winter and only turning the engine over on the xvs and every week and doing basic maintenance. So if it is the clutch or gearbox I wont have noticed as I wasnt trying to ride.

I'm not exactly new to bikes but as this is the first shaft driven bike Ive owned I'm a little relucktant to to play around with the shaft drive thats why I was a bit worried in case it was that.

Buy a Haynes manual and start reading up about the clutch and or gearbox time I guess.

Thanks for all the replies and help guys.

Check everything over.

Make sure the clutch cable is good, all the bolts are tight etc etc.

Make sure you don't have too much oil in the sump.

Maybe even change out the final drive oil.

Check everything and always replace the cheapest parts first.

I certainly will check those. Having just tried the suggestions in the previous posts does lead me to think it's either the clutch or the gearbox.

Having tried to let the clutch out very slowly itsdieing before biting point as even giving it too much throttle it never even seems to want to bite and just dies away.

To be honest I had been working on another bike over the winter and only turning the engine over on the xvs and every week and doing basic maintenance. So if it is the clutch or gearbox I wont have noticed as I wasnt trying to ride.

I'm not exactly new to bikes but as this is the first shaft driven bike Ive owned I'm a little relucktant to to play around with the shaft drive thats why I was a bit worried in case it was that.

Buy a Haynes manual and start reading up about the clutch and or gearbox time I guess.

Thanks for all the replies and help guys.

Hi Growls,

so put this right in my head .... you pull the clutch in drop the bike into gear and the bike continues to run and only when you let the clutch out the bike stalls ? or is it as you engage the gear with the clutch in the bike stalls ?

Regards Jim

Hi Growls,

so put this right in my head .... you pull the clutch in drop the bike into gear and the bike continues to run and only when you let the clutch out the bike stalls ? or is it as you engage the gear with the clutch in the bike stalls ?

Regards Jim

It was the former but happily it appears to be sorted now. As you have all been so kind to help me out you You all deserve to have a laugh a laugh at my expense too.

It was the back brake cable siezed in the on position locking the rear wheel solid!

DOH - Todays winner for the Homer Simpson award for contribution to IQ is Me.

Thanks for all your help Guys.

It was the former but happily it appears to be sorted now. As you have all been so kind to help me out you You all deserve to have a laugh a laugh at my expense too.

It was the back brake cable siezed in the on position locking the rear wheel solid!

DOH - Todays winner for the Homer Simpson award for contribution to IQ is Me.

Thanks for all your help Guys.

Ah !!!

I guess if you have a brake that is locked up it would be difficult to pull off !!! Its good to check the obvious rather than suspecting some part of the motor is at fault and as you found it I guess you dont need the Homer Simpson award .. unless you have funny coloured skin and like some poo beer !

Regards Jim

:lol::banghead::tearhair:

Glad is sorted.

I said to check everything :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online