DT125R de-restriction

This post is 5017 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there.

I don't know what else to do so I'm posting here to get some help. I bought a Yamaha DT125R, 2001 version.

Everything seems to be really okay, except it wont rev over 7000 rpm with third or more gear. First two gears go into red area of rev meter. It sometimes revs over 7000 rpm when standing still in neutral, but then falls back to exactly 7000 rpm.

Some of my electrics did not work, like the horn and blinkers, so I removed the light to see what's going on. I think the previous owner made a mess there, but got them working again. I read something about a "reed switch" which restricts rpm-s to go over 7000 rpm (?). I opened the speedo and saw it had a cut wire going into it (white with a black stripe) and there was a switch mounted between that wire (wire itself headed into speedo with other 3 wires, but only 2 wires went into light bulb of speedo, the other 2, including the cut one, went to white and oblong plastic thingy which had a glass cover on it and two little pinchcocks in it). I removed the mounted switch (not the reed switch ?) as it was doing literally nothing. But then I found out I must not cut the reed switch wire (if it is that wire?) and went desperate because it was already cut. What can I do to remove that RPM restriction? I should say my speedometer cable is broken, ordered a new one from a local Yamaha dealer (that can't be the problem, right?).

I cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter and put some special air filter oil in it, changed all the oils and the problem remained so I'm guessing it's electrically restricted.

Any kind of help is REALLY appreciated! Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello there.

I don't know what else to do so I'm posting here to get some help. I bought a Yamaha DT125R, 2001 version.

Everything seems to be really okay, except it wont rev over 7000 rpm with third or more gear. First two gears go into red area of rev meter. It sometimes revs over 7000 rpm when standing still in neutral, but then falls back to exactly 7000 rpm.

Some of my electrics did not work, like the horn and blinkers, so I removed the light to see what's going on. I think the previous owner made a mess there, but got them working again. I read something about a "reed switch" which restricts rpm-s to go over 7000 rpm (?). I opened the speedo and saw it had a cut wire going into it (white with a black stripe) and there was a switch mounted between that wire (wire itself headed into speedo with other 3 wires, but only 2 wires went into light bulb of speedo, the other 2, including the cut one, went to white and oblong plastic thingy which had a glass cover on it and two little pinchcocks in it). I removed the mounted switch (not the reed switch ?) as it was doing literally nothing. But then I found out I must not cut the reed switch wire (if it is that wire?) and went desperate because it was already cut. What can I do to remove that RPM restriction? I should say my speedometer cable is broken, ordered a new one from a local Yamaha dealer (that can't be the problem, right?).

I cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter and put some special air filter oil in it, changed all the oils and the problem remained so I'm guessing it's electrically restricted.

The speed is restricted by means of a reed switch which is mounted in the rear of the speedo. It tells the CDI when the bike reaches 60mph and stops the revs from increasing.

To remove the speedo restriction take off the headlamp cowl and pull out the spring clips holding the speedo in. Then unscrew the speedo cable and lift up the clock. You will see two things in the bottom of the clock casing. One is round and is the light bulb for the clock, the other is white and oblong. This is the reed switch and you carefully prise it out and tuck it to one side out of the clock. I suggest you put it in a bag and tuck it as far away as possible. Do not cut or disconnect it.

Taken from http://www.dtr125.net/tuningf.htm

hope this helps.

sounds like you already know this, and sounds like someone has previously made a nice mess of the electrics.

Have you checked the powervalve?

• 1 month later...

Hello there.

Hello mate! just to saythe best 2-stroke oil to use is Castrol TT in a black bottle! Silkoline is crap really.. MOtorex is the best but its to thick to run through the oil pump... I've herd so mch about this wire and earthing it off to the frame! but which 1 is it??? That little seethrough ovel thing behind the speedo duz nothink when taken out or cut lol. bt i would'nt mind finding this wire u earth off? My 2001 DT125R duz 95 and 105 down hill.. easy, All i've done is on my power valve cables no1 is all the way down and no2 is fully out and I have a full Dep.

When you sat it aint reving over 7000 is yrz electric power valve? if so on the left hand side of the barrow is the power valve take the little cover off and you will see a black plastic thing with two cables coming down either side and in the middle will be a screw which is put there when new to restrict it! when you've taken it off start the bike and rev it and you will see it move slightly then take the screw out thats in the middle and rev it again and it should move alot more and yr bike will rev off the clock!!! wb soon....

Hello mate! just to saythe best 2-stroke oil to use is Castrol TT in a black bottle! Silkoline is crap really.. MOtorex is the best but its to thick to run through the oil pump... I've herd so mch about this wire and earthing it off to the frame! but which 1 is it??? That little seethrough ovel thing behind the speedo duz nothink when taken out or cut lol. bt i would'nt mind finding this wire u earth off? My 2001 DT125R duz 95 and 105 down hill.. easy, All i've done is on my power valve cables no1 is all the way down and no2 is fully out and I have a full Dep.

When you sat it aint reving over 7000 is yrz electric power valve? if so on the left hand side of the barrow is the power valve take the little cover off and you will see a black plastic thing with two cables coming down either side and in the middle will be a screw which is put there when new to restrict it! when you've taken it off start the bike and rev it and you will see it move slightly then take the screw out thats in the middle and rev it again and it should move alot more and yr bike will rev off the clock!!! wb soon....

Hello mate its me again. When i said the screw in the middle of the black plastic thing i didnt mean the 1 that holds it on i ment the one slightly off centre.... cheers give us a ring if stuck on 07770570118.

• 1 year later...

Hey,i just got a 03 dtr 125 r and it hits 70 but screaming. it has a full dep. but i want to derestrict the speedo and the the power valves but what do you mean by you you moved one up and one down? could you help me please?

Much appreciated

Hey,i just got a 03 dtr 125 r and it hits 70 but screaming. it has a full dep. but i want to derestrict the speedo and the the power valves but what do you mean by you you moved one up  and one down? could you help me please?

Much appreciated

He probably means that he used the cables to open and lock the power valve in the fully open position.

Not something i would personally recommend for the road as the bike will need to be ridden at full throttle because all the power is pushed to the top of the rev range at the sacrifice of lowdown power.

You will find most of the facts you need about derestricting a DTR on this site http://dtr125.net/  , but if you are already getting 70, i think your doing ok tbh.

Also this thread is a good read and may answer a few things the site above doesn't  http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/20583-de-restricting-my-dt125r/

Anymore questions you need answered then start a new thread, it will generate more interest than posting in old threads.

Vez.

• 4 weeks later...

He probably means that he used the cables to open and lock the power valve in the fully open position.

Not something i would personally recommend for the road as the bike will need to be ridden at full throttle because all the power is pushed to the top of the rev range at the sacrifice of lowdown power.

You will find most of the facts you need about derestricting a DTR on this site http://dtr125.net/  , but if you are already getting 70, i think your doing ok tbh.

Also this thread is a good read and may answer a few things the site above doesn't  http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/20583-de-restricting-my-dt125r/

Anymore questions you need answered then start a new thread, it will generate more interest than posting in old threads.

Vez.

Cheers just got an acount so getting to terms with the site!

will start a new " thread" and hope you can answer a few more of my questions:)

Cheers just got an acount so getting to terms with the site!

will start a new " thread" and hope you can answer a few more of my questions:)

You will get alot better replies if you introduce yourself properly in the Bar.  ;)

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/22778-am-i-turning-into-a-grumpy-old-bastrd/   see here for why.

Vez.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online