Reg / Rec issues super tenere from a newbie

This post is 5621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

New to this forum but I suspect there will be a few familiars on here, I've come over from the xtz750 site to see if someone might be able to shed some light on what I think are reg / rec issues.

So, where to start?!!

Put a new reg / rec (RR) on the bike about a year ago but have always had issues. Had a new stator and battery fitted too. The bike would never hold its charge and even whilst riding - would not put enough in to keep the light going in the dark all the way home.

However, the other day I went to start it and it blew the fuse instantly. Tried again with a new fuse and the same happened.

Did a test at the battery and I seem to be getting 18+ volts at riding revs. Fitted another reg /rec and the same. Suspected the replacement so I've got yet another - and I get the same.

The reason I've come across here is because the latest (secondhand) replacement is from an fz r600? Its the finned one with 3xwhite, 1xred, 1xblack, and then a brown and green wire.

What do the brown and green do? I ask this because on my bike - the xtz750- I have just the red/white/black. I have fitted these wires into my original socket and plugged it in - but ignored the green &brown. Do I need to connect them to something on my xtz750 (I dont think so)

THE RED WIRE THAT HOLDS THE FUSE GETS WARM (TO THE EXTENT THAT IT MELTS THE FUSE HOLDER) WHEN I RUN THE BIKE UP TO RIDING REVS. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

I've got thru a dozen fuses and four holders trying to sort it!

Oh, and I seem to get around 13v when I check between the battery -ve and the red wire from the reg / rec at tickover.

I think I'm opening up a whole can of worms. I'm loathed to get another reg / rec until I can pin down the issue.

Thoughts please. I'm about to go out and take a picture if it will help.

S6300848.jpg

The original (from the replacement) 7 pin plug still has the green and brown. The red / whites were placed into my original, and the black has gone to ground?

No comments about the fuse please - its only like that whilst I fiddle around!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone.

New to this forum but I suspect there will be a few familiars on here, I've come over from the xtz750 site to see if someone might be able to shed some light on what I think are reg / rec issues.

So, where to start?!!

Put a new reg / rec (RR) on the bike about a year ago but have always had issues. Had a new stator and battery fitted too. The bike would never hold its charge and even whilst riding - would not put enough in to keep the light going in the dark all the way home.

However, the other day I went to start it and it blew the fuse instantly. Tried again with a new fuse and the same happened.

Did a test at the battery and I seem to be getting 18+ volts at riding revs. Fitted another reg /rec and the same. Suspected the replacement so I've got yet another - and I get the same.

The reason I've come across here is because the latest (secondhand) replacement is from an fz r600? Its the finned one with 3xwhite, 1xred, 1xblack, and then a brown and green wire.

What do the brown and green do? I ask this because on my bike - the xtz750- I have just the red/white/black. I have fitted these wires into my original socket and plugged it in - but ignored the green &brown. Do I need to connect them to something on my xtz750 (I dont think so)

THE RED WIRE THAT HOLDS THE FUSE GETS WARM (TO THE EXTENT THAT IT MELTS THE FUSE HOLDER) WHEN I RUN THE BIKE UP TO RIDING REVS. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

I've got thru a dozen fuses and four holders trying to sort it!

Oh, and I seem to get around 13v when I check between the battery -ve and the red wire from the reg / rec at tickover.

I think I'm opening up a whole can of worms. I'm loathed to get another reg / rec until I can pin down the issue.

Thoughts please. I'm about to go out and take a picture if it will help.

The original (from the replacement) 7 pin plug still has the green and brown. The red / whites were placed into my original, and the black has gone to ground?

No comments about the fuse please - its only like that whilst I fiddle around!

Hi,

the green wire will be voltage regulation, black will be the earth & brown the 12v supply (normally connected to the voltage reg circut).

I never worked on the model you have but from other bikes with a simular charging system I can make some observations

1) I.C regualtor not working

2) Stator not working

3) Wires from the stator to the reg/rec being pinched between the motor/frame & mounting brackets (good old back feed this will cause premature failure of the regulator and/or stator)

4) a faulty main switch

5) Bad earths to the handle bar switches and as americians say 'hot shorts' on those switches ... in the UK a hot short is an Irish Coffee :rolleyes:

Regards Jim

Hi,

the green wire will be voltage regulation, black will be the earth & brown the 12v supply (normally connected to the voltage reg circut).

I never worked on the model you have but from other bikes with a simular charging system I can make some observations

1) I.C regualtor not working

2) Stator not working

3) Wires from the stator to the reg/rec being pinched between the motor/frame & mounting brackets (good old back feed this will cause premature failure of the regulator and/or stator)

4) a faulty main switch

5) Bad earths to the handle bar switches and as americians say 'hot shorts' on those switches ... in the UK a hot short is an Irish Coffee :rolleyes:

Regards Jim

Hi Jim.

As far as I can tell the stator is working. - Certainly the resistance between terminals is OK. The wires arent pinched either.

What is meant by I.C regulator?

As for "hot shorts" - I have another idea

00032071.jpg

Hi Jim.

As far as I can tell the stator is working. - Certainly the resistance between terminals is OK. The wires arent pinched either.

00032071.jpg

well hot shorts !!!!

Hi Jim.

00032071.jpg

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply .. I was just checking on the hot shorts thing .....I.C regulatoris in the inbuilt regulator with in the rectifier. The charge voltage/battery voltage are supplied from the stator which in turn may be regulated to the nominal voltage via the regulator. If ur bike is producing 18v at medium rpm there is a chance that you dont have a regulated & ifthose 2 wires are connected to nothing there is a chance that the stator will be allowed to burn out as it is no longer checked via the regulator/rectifier unit. Subsequent additions of the rectifier/regulator (with an open circut stator) will allow the voltage to rise to the point that any added regulator will become open circut also. So a zero connection to the VR section will allow no end of problems

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online