sexy XS

drewpy
This post is 5614 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I thought all 360's were drum braked, thus wired!!

Hi Drewps

I would guess that is nearly true .... the 36o's I worked with had both the SP & CW option in the 70's but most I saw where spoked & Disc as per the XS250 but I guess a 360C may have been around ... like the XS250C .. the one with the twin leading front brake & drum rear, odd carbs and odd spoked wheels, in fact a total odd ball. The question was if there ever was an XS360SE (80) along with the bikes I mentioned in earlier posts :- XS250SE & XS400SE (both '80 and described as in the UK lit as 'Boulevard Crusiers') I must admit these bikes I lost loads of friends too as when that expensive 16 inch rear tyre wore out they steered like poo -> crash ! So do we have an XS360SE that I never saw & the weights you mentioned do refer to the SE's and not the std XS models ?

Regards Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Drewps

I would guess that is nearly true .... the 36o's I worked with had both the SP & CW option in the 70's but most I saw where spoked & Disc as per the XS250 but I guess a 360C may have been around ... like the XS250C .. the one with the twin leading front brake & drum rear, odd carbs and odd spoked wheels, in fact a total odd ball. The question was if there ever was an XS360SE (80) along with the bikes I mentioned in earlier posts :- XS250SE & XS400SE (both '80 and described as in the UK lit as 'Boulevard Crusiers') I must admit these bikes I lost loads of friends too as when that expensive 16 inch rear tyre wore out they steered like poo -> crash ! So do we have an XS360SE that I never saw & the weights you mentioned do refer to the SE's and not the std XS models ?

Regards Jim

far as I know the weights refer to the standard models. and there were never an SE option on the 360!

far as I know the weights refer to the standard models. and there were never an SE option on the 360!

Hi Drewps,

Thats what I thought (in fact knew) so we are not sure of the weights of the SE models ? i.e is the 250SE heavier than the 400 ? I seem to remember that the XS250SP & XS360SP where the same weight (SP being the spoke wheel version of the same model year CW being alloy wheels). That would then produce an XS250DSP & an XS250DCW. I now think back ... the 1977 blue XS400 that continued on till the SE (in 1980) .. dam thing did not sell well at all, in fact I still had 2 in stock in 1981 which had to be registered in order to save the 10% tax levied from the government or else I would still have them bikes in crates as the SE version just took hold. From memory the Blue XS400 had square cylinders (like the 250) and was replaced in 1980 with the rounded cylinders on the SE bikes. Prior to SE it was simple to work out how big the motor was ... as the one had 250 on the side panel the other 400. With the introduction of the SE both side panels bore the US Custom logo and the cylinders became the way to work out which was which. Later the US Custom logo was replaced with a logo that said 'Special'.

So in a nutshell we had the following :-

XS250SP

XS250CW

XS400SP

XS400CW

XS250SE

XS400SE

and then the odd ball

XS250C

The 360 tended to be a 'super' odd ball that replicated the 250 with the performance that most 250 owners expected from their 250's

Regards Jim

I found the xs400SH was 170kg and the xs400H 167kg, 400E 168kg, 400 2-e 155kg, 400f 168kg, 400-2f 159kg, 400sg 169kg and 400g 166kg from the yam service manual.

good info on the model range Jim.

I used the 250C wires for my 400 ;)

I found the xs400SH was 170kg and the xs400H 167kg, 400E 168kg, 400 2-e 155kg, 400f 168kg, 400-2f 159kg, 400sg 169kg and 400g 166kg from the yam service manual.

good info on the model range Jim.

I used the 250C wires for my 400 ;)

Hi Drewps

have you used the front TLS brake as well ? And I reckon the 250c spoke lacing pattern was awsome !

Regards Jim

Hi Drewps

have you used the front TLS brake as well ? And I reckon the 250c spoke lacing pattern was awsome !

Regards Jim

unfortunatley they were disk wheels, so i grafted on a second disk and xs1100 master cyl. stops realllly well though!!

unfortunatley they were disk wheels, so i grafted on a second disk and xs1100 master cyl. stops realllly well though!!

Hi Drewps

Disc/spoke wheels = XS250SP Drum/Spoke wheels = XS250C so I guess the wheels you have are laced normally and not in the 'bunched' method of the 250C (which look well cool), to date the only info I can find on the net are links to the 1982 XS250C haynes manual or front brake shoes ... it would be good to if a pic so you could see what an odd ball it is !

Regards Jim

is this the one you like?

xs400-photo1.jpg

its an xs400 though

this is mine

100_1137.jpg

is this the one you like?

xs400-photo1.jpg

its an xs400 though

this is mine

100_1137.jpg

Hi Drewps

those are the wheels !!! (piccy 1), the pic does not do them justice .... but a pic of the XS250C would be good so you could see what an odd ball it is !!!

Your XS400 looks good & I notice it has the square cylinders to date it prior 1980... perhaps get some of the rounded ones from the SE to shed some weight :rolleyes:

Regards JIm

Hi Drewps

those are the wheels !!! (piccy 1), the pic does not do them justice .... but a pic of the XS250C would be good so you could see what an odd ball it is !!!

Your XS400 looks good & I notice it has the square cylinders to date it prior 1980... perhaps get some of the rounded ones from the SE to shed some weight :rolleyes:

Regards JIm

:P it was the 250's that were heavier, not the shape of the engine!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online